We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to buy

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Things to buy

What are the best/must buys in Marrakech?

What things have you bought? :-)

Paris, France
reviews: 68
1. Re: Things to buy

I haven't been yet but here is my To Buy list:

-argan oil

-beauty products with argan oil

-decorative teapots

-tagine

-pouf

-handicraft jewellery

-kaftan

-some carvings

-maybe a painting

-small hanging lamps

I probably have more, I didn't actually write it down yet, except for with you

Edited: 4:18 pm, July 28, 2013
Luton
reviews: 6
2. Re: Things to buy

The best buys in Marrakech would surely be examples of traditional craftmanship. Although it is, of course, possible to spend a lot of money on some of these (notably carpets, if you are not careful!), they need not necessarily be expensive to buy at all. You might want to consider:

- a hand-knotted carpet (rather than a kilim) incorporating traditional Islamic patterns or Berber symbols

- a piece of brightly coloured, decorative pottery for your sideboard, or perhaps a practical tagine pot for your kitchen

- a Berber necklace or bracelet

- an ancient fossil

- something made of leather, maybe a wallet, a bag or even a pair of babouches bought from one of the shops around the tanneries

- a brass lantern or a Moroccan teapot

- something carved from wood, perhaps a set of soup bowls together with orangewood spoons.

As none of these items are ever going to prove to be big investments, the most important consideration to my mind, whatever you decide to buy, is that your purchases should simply provide you with warm reminders of your own wonderful holiday and be personal to you. Have a great time browsing!

Middlesbrough...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Things to buy

Good buys were leather boots£28 and beautiful leather bags £23, also scarfs (was told it was cactus silk but not really sure - paid about £6 all lovely colours.

Unusual goat skin tea light candle holders in all colours around £4 and metal /goat skin lamp £8

purses, pottery and silver tea pots.

Got ripped off in the spice shops, they give you mint tea and show you all the different spices, its a nice experience and you feel obliged to buy - we bought oil burner oil and paid about £10 but it was poor quality and tried to charge us £30 for a small amount of arabic tea and some mixed spices.

Have a reasonable a price in your head that you are happy to pay and stick to that, it's all good fun bartering and everyone is happy at the end.

Jewellery was abit difficult as we thought we were haggling over a costume ring and offering £15 but the guy was offended and tried to tell us is was a precious stone - we just appologised and walked away.

4. Re: Things to buy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 30, 2014