We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chichester, United...
What to wear in Marrakech

As a female, I spent a long time worrying about what I would wear when visiting Marrakech. I was there end June/beginning July and it was extremely hot.

Reading some comments on here, I really thought I would have to completely cover up.

I saw a wide range of 'fashion' whilst there but didn't see anyone being hassled, although there is no doubt the young men do like a good long look at the ladies.

For me, tunic tops with capped sleeves worn with linen trousers worked best. I chose not to wear spaghetti strapped tops or anything other than 3/4 length and full length linen trousers. Maxi dresses would also be a great addition to your luggage.

I knew I wanted to be respectful and I felt fine.

As it turned out, I didn't really dress any differently than I do here in the UK.

My advice .... try not to worry, be comfortable, and if in any doubt, take/buy a pashmina or two.

On another note don't be afraid of Jemaa El-Fna....yes you hear people calling to you, trying to sell you this or that, trying to persuade you to eat at their food stalls but if you are not interested a polite 'no thanks' will do the trick. Its an amazing experience to be there so relax and enjoy it. Don't forget a visit to the Souks.

Finally don't do what I did and take a horse and carriage ride if you have an allergy to horses. The double dose anti histamine didn't do the trick as I thought it would!

Go, have fun & enjoy this amazing city.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
1. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

some good advice there - in Marrakech you dont need to worry about what to wear, pretty much anything goes!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
2. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

Hi,

Interesting to hear your take but I don't think many people have ever advised covering up completely?

"pretty much anything goes!" is not at all helpful and simply not to be taken seriously. You "can" of course wear anything you like but "should" you? I don't think so nor do most sensible contributors.

Smithfield, Rhode...
reviews: 1
3. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

I am traveling to Marrakech with school and have been advised that shoulders and legs should be covered for women. I was told never to wear shorts or spaghetti straps. "Conservative Dress" is what they called it.

The original post seems like the best advise to follow. I have purchased a few maxi dresses and skirts in anticipation of the trip.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
4. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

When you are in Marrakech, you will see females in shorts and strappy tops (and I am talking about locals as well as tourists). You will also see people covered head to toe in niqab, and everything inbetween.

Obviously Morocco is an Islamic country but this is not Saudi Arabia or even Dubai, where things are a lot more conservative. Plus Marrakech is the tourist capital of the country so the locals are well used to seeing all types of fashions.

When any friend of mine visits Marrakech and asks me what they should wear, I always tell them to wear whatever they want and it is has never caused any problems.

Saying that, the Medina does tend to be a more conservative area than the New Town. Plus Marrakech is the most liberal city in Morocco, so what is acceptable here is not necessarily the same elsewhere in the country.

5. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:52 pm, July 10, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
6. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

Hi,

For sensible comments and discussion on this topic please have a look in the top questions box on the right of the page.

In 12 years living here I have never seen a Moroccan girl in the Marrakech medina wearing shorts and a strappy top.

Telling women to wear what they like is irresponsible and just plain wrong,

Use common sense please.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
7. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

Always got to stick my two penneth in and I have to say that telling people to "wear what they want" isn't the best thing to do. Primarily because it assumes that the people reading that advice are generally respectable people with half a brain cell between them.

Sadly, some people cannot be trusted to their own devices - the two girls wearing 80's style, lycra, neon yellow boob tubes and mini skirts in the square for example. For them, that would appear to be perfectly acceptable, normal day wear - to most people it would only be acceptable in a circus or on the stage.

There is very little in my day-to-day wardrobe that couldn't be worn in Marrakech - however my sister has a friend who would have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe in order to have anything to wear that didn''t flaunt her considerable assets!

The maxi dress I wore for a lot of my recent time in the city had a slightly lower cut neckline than I would normally wear, so I popped a light scarf around my neck that fell over my chest and covered me up. I also keep my shoulders covered with a loose, cotton cardigan top.

Whilst I don't expect anyone to harass me if I don't dress modestly, I feel far more at ease doing so - especially when I am dealing with other women who are covered and even veiled.

From a practical point of view, loose, flowing items of clothing that cover your skin but allow maximum airflow are ideal for hot weather. Anything tight or clingy won't allow sweat to evaporate and women in particular should be encouraged to wear loose items around their lower parts (you know what I mean ladies!).

Tight jeans with a loose tunic top are perfectly acceptable - tight jeans with a skintight, strappy top are not. It seems like common sense to most people however, if you check out some of the half-naked, sunbaked folk on your flight home, you'll understand why some folk need clearer advice than others!

Edited: 9:16 pm, July 10, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
8. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

Shimmin: You are entitled to your opinion, I have a slightly different view and stand by my earlier comments.

I was in the Medina just last week with a local female friend who was wearing shorts and a sleeveless top - that is not to say she was looking in anyway inappropriate by showing cleavage etc.

Of course, I am not recommending anyone to wander the Medina in a bikini top, although you will even see that from some tourists! But I personally find the idea that legs and shoulders need to covered while in Marrakech to be very outdated.

LaLico: That is a good post and sound advice for all.

Edited: 9:40 pm, July 10, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
9. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

Respect is key I'd say both for the religion and other women. If you don't have respect for either then wear whatever you like.

reviews: 3
10. Re: What to wear in Marrakech

I would agree. Me and my sister just got back from Marrakech and yes women wear what they like but I can reassure you the local people do not appreciate!! We felt it was correct to respect their culture and cover up shoulders and legs. They won't think much of you otherwise.

We have been told by a local exactly that. I would cover so you do not feel exposed!

It's safe and people are so lovely! Very pushy but politeness goes a long way!!

We have notice a lot of women wearing not a lot usually were with their partner but for me looking from outside that did not make any difference! Just not respectful!

Also everyone touches you and coz busy you would not feel comfortable.

I would say short sleeves and buggy long trousers is the best. Also you avoid looking stupid when you have burned red limbs :/