We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My tips after my trip

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chichester
reviews: 24
My tips after my trip

Here are my tips after an 11 night stay in Marrakech.

The airport

Passport control, we arrived on a full plane, it then took us about an hour to get through passport control, its not air conditioned.

Currency exchange - There are two places to change currency within the baggage hall, if you value your time then don't bother, just use an ATM in the main hall of the airport. We had about ten people in front of us it took over an hour. They gave us a form that we had to keep until we left the country, though when we did leave no one seemed interested in taking it from us, even though I offered it to several officials.

There are ATM's every where in Marrakech and I got a better rate from them than at the airport, they even had a drive through ATM, why don't we have those in the UK?

Several days it reached 46 degrees (approx 120 F) whilst this sounds unbearable, it is a dry heat so not as oppressive as a humid country. Though we found we had to drink a lot of water and soft drinks, and I am talking a litre at a time or more.

Prices - In the new town we found meals and drink prices to be on a par with the UK, a cocktail would be around 80 DHS and a good meal for two with two bottles of wine etc would be approx 900 Dhs. The Moroccan Laroque wine is definitely recommended. We checked the prices in KFC, Pizza Hut and McDonalds and all were around the same as the UK.

The best value drink was the orange juice from the vendors in the square at 4 DHS.

If you go to the square make sure you have plenty of small denominations of currency as some of the street performers (rip off artists) will say they can give you change but once you hand over a 50 DHS note they refuse to give any change.

Crossing the roads - They have yellow stripes on the roads that resemble zebra crossings, but that is where the similarity ends, generally cars will stop to let you across, mopeds will not, do not try and avoid them, they will avoid you.

There is a huge gap between the 'haves' and 'have not's' in Marrakech, it is not a cheap city, you will see Bentley's and Ferrari's driving past women begging with small children.

Having been to other Northern African countries I was surprised how clean the streets were, I have seen worse UK streets.

We did a day trip taking in the usual sites, Berber House, Argon oil factory and waterfall. Be warned the trek to the waterfall is about 30 mins, you will need shoes with good soles, flip flops will be dangerous. When you get to the top is is also very high up, if you don't like heights you will not like this, it isn't the UK with nice safety barriers everywhere,

We found everyone to be very friendly, apart from the lady on passport control..

Leaving Marrakech met the lady from hell on passport control, hand her my passport and she looks at me, with my new super dark suntan, and says "what is your country of origin?" Puzzled I said 'England' NO NO she replied "what is your country of origin" I said "I flew in from the UK last week, I have a UK passport that shows I was born in England", again she asks "what is your country of origin" now getting a little annoyed I say "England" She says "is Harris an English name" didn't want to confuse her by saying its originally Scottish so just said "yes"

She then asks where were your parents and grand parents born? "England" after a lot of taping on her computer she handed my passport back and let me through. Perhaps I should have just shown her my white bits.

We liked Marrakech, certainly an experience.

Edited: 9:42 am, July 09, 2013
13 replies to this topic
Taroudannt...
reviews: 2
1. Re: My tips after my trip

That's so funny; yes, you could have shown her your bum!

Good and very accurate report.

That must have been a great meal for 900dh.

I pay 1000 monthly rent for my apartment in Taroudant!

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
2. Re: My tips after my trip

yes, it was nice funny report, thanks!

Wimborne Minster...
reviews: 51
3. Re: My tips after my trip

Thank you for that, good information and loved the last bit! :)

Thanks,

Kim x

4. Re: My tips after my trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:02 pm, October 28, 2013

reviews: 3
5. Re: My tips after my trip

Thanks for sharing. I will be arriving in Casablanca on August 16 and joining the Peregrine Highlights of Morocco tour from August 18 to Sept. 2. I do have some concerns about the quality of the accommodations based on reviews of the hotels that I do know about. They have only told us the names of two of the hotels that we will be staying in. I will provide a full report when the tour is completed for anyone planning a similar trip in the future.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
6. Re: My tips after my trip

Thanks for your enjoyable and useful report. Funny too ;-)

Not sure why poster number 5 feels the need to advertise which company he says he is using.

Neustadt an der...
7. Re: My tips after my trip

Haaahaaa.

How much should you give the market entertainers for taking their photo?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
8. Re: My tips after my trip

10dh max for photos, even 5dh is fine but they will scream and shout for more!

some good tips in there - although I will mention that there are some very good value places to eat in the New Town, although perhaps they are not so easily found by the average tourist.

norfolk
reviews: 30
9. Re: My tips after my trip

you need the form the money changer gave you if you wish to change any money back to sterling.

we arrived on a full flight and cleared immigration in 20 minutes, got bags and cash in another ten, then spend another 20 trying to find our pick-up who was late....

i did not witness any bad attitude on the part of the airport officials, but saw plenty of bad behaviour from travellers.

South East, England
reviews: 15
10. Re: My tips after my trip

Hi, Can I ask who you booked the waterfall tour with and obviously was with the Ourika Valley and Atlas mountains?

Thanks

Reply to: My tips after my trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted