We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be very very careful by booking online !!!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 59
Be very very careful by booking online !!!

In March, I booked one riad in Marrakech but canceled immediately, 16 days before arrival, because of their lewd and rude response to some questions I had. Now, three months later, they charged my card for the full amount, ie 100%.

I contacted booking.com and was told that I misunderstood the clause "If cancelled up to 7 days before date of arrival, 100 percent of the first two nights will be charged. If cancelled later or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged."

It is a bit unclear text and I thought it means then on the seventh day before arrival. But if I cancel the eight days before so I not will be charged anything.

But in fact it means all the time, ie even if you book and then cancel one year before arrival, they will charge your card with 100% anyway.

It has never happened to me before that some hotel would charge the full amount. To take a fee 10-15% of the price, it can be understood, but not 100% - I regard it as a theft really, rude and not polite or how I can say.

Therefore I write this review and warn all by booking online, be sure however that you right understand their clause on booking so that you do not run into the same thing as me.

1. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:12 pm, October 28, 2013
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
2. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

If you booked online then you either paid by debit card or credit card.

If the former applies then you cannot recover anything, certainly not in the UK anyway.

If, however, you paid by credit card then you should be notifying the card issuer who will check the conditions imposed by the booking agent and recover costs if applicable.

Stockholm, Sweden
3. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

I have done research, John. I booked it through the booking so one do not pay directly but first on arrival at hotel they charge the card as usual.

I spent the night 2 times in Marrakech, first time when I came to Marrakech and it was a really good Riad - you can see it on my review here.

The second time when I would go back home, I booked then Riad Al Tainam because I thought I might stay at a different place in Marrakech. And even if it did not looked as good as the first Riad, I thought it will be good anyway.

After being booked, I asked them if they can arrange transportation to the airport. Got just reply "It costs 15EUR." I mean they did not write hello or thank you for your booking, no Bye either, only what it costs. I have asked them polite again if I can get it for 10EUR, but got the same answer. Then I decided to cancel this and book the Ryad Laârouss I have been on the first night, it was incredible good there, both the place, building, rooms and staff of course too.

When I saw at my bank account the charge, I became be upset of course and have written to Riad Al Tainam (got a bit not so nice responses without sorry or so) and also to booking, but it led nowhere. Only got apology from booking.com. But not some money back.

4. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:12 pm, October 28, 2013
London
reviews: 21
5. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

Agree Khamlia, you have to read terms and conditions thoroughly. Their site does state free cancellation on most rooms - but not all. I booked a room through Booking.com last month and cancelled few days before arrivals and no costs incurred. Have just booked another room for later in the year and it clearly states no refund, because it is a special rate.

Normally the cheaper rates have hefty cancellations charges or no refund.

Stockholm, Sweden
6. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

It is my English, John, and google translation, because often I check my English there LOL

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 66
7. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

I often use Booking.com are they do clearly show when a booking is refundable and when it is not, in fact they sometimes have 2 rates for the same hotel - a cheaper one where you pay immediately without possibility of refund and the standard rate where you only pay when you arrive.

So it sounds like this is just an unfortunate case of you misunderstanding their terms.

The Scottish Borders
reviews: 57
8. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

I've not long since made a booking through booking.com for a Dar in Essaouira for next year, have just checked the confirmation email for the cancellation terms which are clearly printed (with dates and times) at the bottom of the email

------------

Cancellation policy:

If cancelled up to 7 days before date of arrival, no fee will be charged.If cancelled later, 100 percent of the first night will be charged.In case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.

Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property.

Cancellation costs in local hotel time:

Until 27 February 2014 23:59 [Essaouira] : EUR 0

From 28 February 2014 00:00 [Essaouira] : EUR 75

EUR 150

----------

If I remember rightly you get an email confirming any changes / cancellations from booking.com - check back your email's to see the date you cancelled and then check with your booking confirmation email, if you cancelled within time, contact booking.com stating the date and time you cancelled / your booking terms from the confirmation email etc.

Stockholm, Sweden
9. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

No, this riad have not 2 rates, it is only one. They have 5 rooms and all of them have the same cancellation policy as I wrote above.

If the riad wrote in theirs policy to booking.com "until 7 days" I would understand that I would pay every time with cancellation and in that case I never would book this riad.

But they wrote "up to 7 days" " and it is not really clear what they mean and it was here this misunderstanding for which I was paying now for.

I have thrown all the paperwork and emails regarding booking so I could not watch when I was charged this fee, it has gone three months since then and I do not save unnecessary paper. That they were necessary, it became clear only when I needed it, but it was too late.

London
reviews: 21
10. Re: Be very very careful by booking online !!!

This is what it states for that particular riad, Suzie M

'Cancellation: If cancelled up to 7 days before date of arrival, 100 percent of the first two nights will be charged. If cancelled later or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged. '

Unfortunately Khamlia misunderstood the booking conditions.