We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spices

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle under Lyme
reviews: 2
Spices

Hi, I am going on my second trip to Marrakech in October and was hoping to buy lots of spices while I am there. Does anyone know if is it feasible to have them posted back to the uk or will this be to expensive and /or not arrive? They do weigh quite heavy and didnt want to use my baggage allowance on this. Also I am wanting to buy loads of beads, is there any restrictions on this?

Thanks Peta

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
1. Re: Spices

Hi,

There are no restrictions on beads as far as I know. The postal service is quite reliable and the price will be entirely dependent on the weight of your spice purchases.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 9
2. Re: Spices

Sometimes customs authorities don't like spices since they stray into the area of food or are simply hard for them to know what they actually are. Generally, when buying spices, especially if they are for your own use, buying smaller quantities (what you can use in 2 months or less) is what you want to do to ensure freshness...if you are buying to resell, then that might cause problems with customs.

Buying beads should pose no problems. If shipping, you might use one of the reliable courier services such as Chronopost, as items sent via the post don't always seem to get there. If you do choose the post in the end, do make sure to send it registered/tracked, as at least this way you know that you will get your goods eventually.

Edited: 10:26 pm, June 20, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 7
3. Re: Spices

Buy spices a seeds and grind them yourself they will last 2 to 3 years. Not sure which is cheaper to take them on board or have them shipped. If you decide on the latter option make sure you're dealing with a reputable spice shop owner

norfolk
reviews: 30
4. Re: Spices

don't buy too many spices. frankly - the prices are not that great when compared with holland & barratt, [for instance]. spices should be used as fresh as possible. that said - i found the parika very good quality and good value, it is still good after a year, kept in the dark, in a bag inside a clip-lock box. coriander and cumin are cheaper at home, either in large bags from h & b or from asian supermarkets.

there should be no problem with beads, but make sure they ARE beads! coral, ivory and seeds all crop up in jewellery and also in jewellery-making stores, and are mostly banned from import for various reasons.

Newcastle under Lyme
5. Re: Spices

Thank you all for the info, im going to buy some small quantities to bring back with me , which is for me to use at home. Was just a little worried as some of the spices, from a lovely spice shop in the square, looked a bit 'dodgy' when you have a packet of it wrapped up and I dont want to cause problems at customs. I also think im going to take a risk with sending some back home via post, as loads of friends wanted some, but small quantities not for resale.

I will carefully buy proper beads, preferably glass or semi-precious stones, while I am there and may saunter thru customs looking like an aging hippy with loads round my neck if the baggage allowance is taken up.

Many thanks to all

Peta

norfolk
reviews: 30
6. Re: Spices

experienced customs officers will not turn a hair at 'dodgy' looking packages of spices. or washing powder, or black soap, or any of the wierd and wonderful stuff we bring back. they do actually know what they are looking for, and so do their dogs and x-ray equipment. :-)

by the way - 'dodgy' stuff gets sent by post too.....

have fun.

Newcastle under Lyme
7. Re: Spices

Thanks for your reply Pam x

Middlesbrough...
reviews: 9
8. Re: Spices

remember to label the individual bags as it is sometimes hard to recognise the smells once you get home.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 291
9. Re: Spices

i bought mine in the supermarket...packaged up .

10. Re: Spices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 25, 2014