We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pounds versus Euros

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
reviews: 1
Pounds versus Euros

Hi,

Before going to Marrakesh:

Does it make any sense to exchange some Pounds to Euros? Is having Euros a considerable advantage?

Do Moroccan banks accept Adam Smith's head on the £20 notes or is it still a problem (right hand side top corner Banks and Money( I believe it was in 2007))?

Do they ask people at the airport ( coming to Morocco) to declare how much cash -Pounds, Euros etc. they bring? Is there any limit for Pounds and Euros??

I would be grateful for your advise. Thank you.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
1. Re: Pounds versus Euros

there is not much advantage to having Euros over Pounds really - you can change both equally easily.

you only have to declare if you bring in over €10,000

norfolk
reviews: 30
2. Re: Pounds versus Euros

no problem with the current [only] english notes. [the problem when the article was written, was that we were in a changeover period when there were two current notes.]

however, scottish notes are still not readily accepted. neither are torn, stamped or written-on notes.

Edited: 11:56 am, June 20, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
3. Re: Pounds versus Euros

As far as I am aware Belfast is still in Northern Ireland and not in Scotland. Or did I misunderstand your last sentence Pam?! There are many national currencies not accepted in Morocco.

Slikesun, do not bring euros: for most purchases you will be paying in dirhams so why suffer a double conversion rate?

Banks & Money was revised on June 18th this year and is therefore current.

Marrakech, Morocco
4. Re: Pounds versus Euros

Hi there,

Though a lot of riads accept payment either in Euros, Pounds or Dirhams, you will still need to change your money into Dh to pay for other services and things you buy in Marrakech. Better change your Pounds into Dh when you get in the country.

Enjoy your stay!

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 35
5. Re: Pounds versus Euros

When you arrive just go to the exchange desk in arrivals with your debit card not the one straight after baggage collection as there will be a long queue go through the doors and there our 2 others just outside and then exchange your dhirrams at these booths when you leave .there our plenty of ATMs in Marrakech so don't get caught up with a double exchange fee just take your debit / credit card.

Thornton Cleveleys...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Pounds versus Euros

PLEASE be careful when taking a debit or credit card to Marrakech. Depending on your bank it can be the worst rip-off there is - they can have terrible exchange rates PLUS loading fees PLUS withdrawal fees.

There are some reasonable cards out there but it pays to check. I always suggest a pre-paid card such as FairFX Anywhere because the exchange rate is a close as you can get to official trade rates and there is no loading fee.

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

Otherwise, the bureau de change at Hotel Ali in the square normally offers better rates than the bank/post office/airport etc.

Belfast, United...
7. Re: Pounds versus Euros

Many thanks for your valuable advice. I am very excited already.

8. Re: Pounds versus Euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 23, 2014