We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Garden City, New...
reviews: 28
Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

Entering Marrakech airport my husband saw an exchange desk & suggested exchanging our Durhams to USD. Since we had a 4 hour connection in Casablanca we knew we would be buying lunch & decided to exchange there after we spent what we needed to. Little did we know there is not an exchange desk available. My husband & son tried to exit & then re-enter, they were not allowed by security. We decided to "shop". Strangely most of the shops are in Euro & deny taking Durhams. But if you get a nice salesperson they will take Durhams "as a favor".

9 replies to this topic
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

If only people would read the banks and money article in the top questions box on the right of the page!Dirhams by the way.

Edited: 7:41 pm, June 18, 2013
Blackpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 19
2. Re: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

Sorry, I don't quite understand your post - are you saying that you couldn't exchange your dirhams at Marrakech or Casablanca? Equally, do you mean you couldn't spend your dirhams in the shops at Marrakech or Casablanca?

Most people know to change their dirhams prior to passing through security but the cafes in the Marrakech departure lounge now take dirhams as payment if you find you have some left over. Otherwise there are charity collection points for any change/notes you want to get rid of before boarding the plane.

I don't know of any airports that would let you pass back through the security points once you were airside.

Edited: 7:52 pm, June 18, 2013
Garden City, New...
reviews: 28
3. Re: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

My apologizes for spelling Dirhams wrong. After re-reading Banks & Money, i still don't see where it states no option for exchanging once you are beyond security. Especially when you have a long layover. And why are Euros dominant in the Duty Free shops? I wouldn't have had those either.

4. Re: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:10 pm, October 28, 2013

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
5. Re: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

eventhough the prices are displayed in Euros, the duty free shops will take US dollars or Sterling as well

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 55
6. Re: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

Hi,

"Currency purchased during a visit to Morocco should be converted back before departing the country, with the exception of the 1000Dh level. Travellers should be advised to keep the receipts of currency exchange, as these will be required for the conversion of Dirham back to foreign currency prior to departure and before you go through passport control."

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 30
7. Re: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

When I purchased something I duty free with my card I was told I could only pay in usd or euros they would not except sterling.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
8. Re: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

they do accept sterling cash, if you pay by card then it is usually charged in Euros

9. Re: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:10 pm, October 28, 2013

Reply to: Exchange Durhams before you go through security!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted