We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland
reviews: 3
Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

As a work weary 50something couple we were initially looking for a de-stressing 10 day holiday in late September ie pool/beach/book/I pod. We have since re-considered a little and are very much attracted by the rich culture that Marrakech looks to provide - however..... is it still possible to find havens of solitude, or is it wall to wall souks, markets, and bartering???

Any specific recommendations re suitable accommodation would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticipation.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
1. Re: Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

A riad (a traditional house arranged round a small courtyard garden, turned into a boutique hotel).

Check out literally thousands of reviews that are waiting for you.

Edited: 2:55 pm, June 18, 2013
2. Re: Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:36 pm, June 18, 2013
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

Having just come back from a week in marrakech and being 50 something's ourselves we found a morning in the medina and seeing sights and the afternoon relaxing back at the riad then back to the square in the evening for some food was just right .we also did a couple of day trips one to the mountains then another to essauria it was nice to get away from the city for awhile.

My husband found all the hassling and this ways closed a bit irritating I just let it all go over my head so you just need to let it all wash over you if you want a relaxing break.

We stayed at a beautiful riad called ksar anika it has a larger than average pool and a spa and the staff were second to none it's situated about 15 mins walk from the square so just outside all the mayhem but close enough not to feel out of it.

Enjoy

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
4. Re: Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

I've lived in Marrakech for years, and visited many riads. It still surprises me how calm and peaceful it is inside a riad, even when there is mayhem outside!

There are many riads to choose from. You can narrow your search by selecting price and features (pool, hammam, etc).

Sunderland
reviews: 3
5. Re: Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

Many thanks to all - the 'Riad research' starts here!! ;-)

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
6. Re: Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

Go to the naughty step poster number 2!

No self promotion allowed.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
7. Re: Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

As you are going for 10 days, you might consider a two-centre holiday. You could spend a few days in Marrakech and then rent a villa/house in the countryside just outside the city.

Marrakech is invigorating, energising and also very demanding! A riad is a fabulous escape from the hustle and bustle but you may fancy something even more peaceful and private. I noticed you mentioned a pool in your original post which is partly why I'm saying this. You can stay in some lovely places with private gardens and pools if you want a few days of doing nothing except relaxing, swimming and listening to the birds sing.

Obviously it all depends on your budget and whether you want to be in the middle of things or not. Some rentals come with staff so you can have all your meals cooked and maid service too.

You have lots and lots of options and you can split your time to suit your needs. You could even have a few days in Essaouira if you liked. For the sake of fairness I will also say that there are plenty of hotels and All Inclusive resorts available to you - but I personally would steer clear of them if you are actually interested in the culture of Morocco and not just in free booze.

There is a link on the right hand side that says "How to choose a riad" which might be of some help because it can be a long and arduous task!

8. Re: Marrakech - balancing sight seeing with relaxation??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 20, 2014