We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derbyshire, UK
reviews: 12
Car Rental

Hi

I am travelling to Marrakech for the 3rd time in 3 weeks, staying at a villa on the Samanah Golf Complex. We have organised a car to collect us from the airport, the cost of this is approx. 25 euros. Whilst this is fine for one trip, we are staying for 7 days, probably going into Marrakech daily so the cost of cars would soon escalate.

We are considering hiring a car, although having been to Marrakech before the roads are quite manic and this does make me a bit nervous.

What I'm wondering is how much a grand taxi would roughly cost between Marrakech and the golf course?? And just how easy is it to navigate Marrakech yourself in a car?!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
1. Re: Car Rental

i think you should hire a car for a few days at least - not sure of the exact cost of grand taxi as it depends on what you can negotiate (150/200dh at a guess) plus it might not be so easy to get them all the time.

Your own car also give you flexibility to explore the Marrakech countryside and Atlas area where it is easy to drive - you would be perfectly placed at Samanah to do that.

Marrakech, Morocco
2. Re: Car Rental

Hi,

Petit taxis (for 3 persons) or grand taxis(5-6 persons) can be also caught in front of your hotel, but be aware that some petit taxi drivers tend to forget using the meter, so remind them of this. Grand taxis don’t have meter, so you will have to negotiate, but you are unlikely to get anywhere with less than 60Dhs. There is a large gathering of Grand Taxis behind the Gare Routiere bus station at Bab Doukkala where they can also be used for day trips outside the city or to travel between cities.

If you don’t want to pay for a taxi, there are lots of International Car rental companies that have their office in the airport and along Avenue Mohammed 5 and Boulevard Zerktouni. The cost for a small economic car is about 300Dhs per day, and the insurance is paid separately. But if you pay by credit card, sometimes the companies cover the insurance as well.

Enjoy your stay in Marrakech!

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
3. Re: Car Rental

Depending on how many there are of you your solution may be to use the new taxis vert system. You phone the company and ask for the number of taxis you require stating your pick-up time, collection point and destination (obviously!)

Tel: 0524409494

The charge is on the metre + 15 dirhams so is probably cheaper than by grand taxi.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
4. Re: Car Rental

will petit taxis and taxi vert go as far as Samanah? I dont think so

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
5. Re: Car Rental

I do - I've just phoned the taxis vert service (as a double check as I knew they did) and there is no problem in booking a taxi with them.

n_mcardle, I think this would be a good option for you as it avoids the hassle of driving in Marrakech and, of course, you can always hire a car if you would like a day trip elsewhere.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
6. Re: Car Rental

thats good to know - I always thought petit taxis were not allowed that far out of town or it is that taxi vert also have grand taxis?

Derbyshire, UK
reviews: 12
7. Re: Car Rental

Brilliant, really appreciate all of the advice so thank you!

On a side note, does anyone know what facilitiws are at the samamah? We are staying in a villa there

8. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 19, 2014