We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Overnight Trip

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon city
reviews: 38
Best Overnight Trip

We are a couple who will be in Marrakech for 5 days this coming September. Coming from the tropics, the idea of spending the night watching the stars under the clear, desert sky really appealed to us. However, the most time we can allot for this desert trip is 3 days which my husband vetoed after research shows a possible 7-9 hour car ride on the way back. So I now intend to plan just an overnight trip somewhere that will best come close to that "desert feel".

My husband is an architect so great desert structures are obviously of interest to him. I have seen overnight trips with an itinerary going to Ait Ben Haddou, Ouarzazate, Agdz and back.

Other destination experts have also suggested a trip to Imlil, Asni and Ouirika (Atlas Mountains).

Can someone give me an idea of what we will see/experience if we go up to the Atlas Mountains

vs going towards Ait Ben Haddou?

Quezon city
reviews: 38
11. Re: Best Overnight Trip

Thanks for all the advice! We are more inclined now to head towards Ait Ben Haddou & spend the night there before heading back as we only can do an overnight (2 days ) from Marrakech & would rather savor our surroundings rather than squeeze it "all" in. We will definitely visit Telouet on our way there but would welcome any other suggestions on what other stops we can add. Also, please advise if there another scenic route we can take on the way back to Marrakech & which places can we stop at..

We plan on just hiring a private driver who speaks fluent English. Would the daily rate for their services ( car & fuel ) include all extra expenses such as their meals and evening accommodations?

May I also enquire what would be the average price per day for a car & driver ( w fuel ) for a 2 day trip for 2 persons?

Thanks in advance!

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
12. Re: Best Overnight Trip

Our driver/guide was 125 euros per day - that included the car, driver, fuel and their expenses but not our own accommodation, food etc. That seemed to be around the average price of booking a private car rather than going on a set tour.

You can easily get as far as El Kelaa M'Gouna from Marrakech in one day, if you wanted to spend the night around there instead of at Ait Ben Haddou. Otherwise I would suggest heading down that way, possibly to Todra Gorge, before you travel back the next day. If you don't go any further than Ait Ben Haddou, you'll miss the greenery around Skoura etc which would be a shame.

We set off at 9am from Marrakech, had a coffee/rest stop going over the mountains, visited Telouet, had lunch at Ait Ben Haddou and then visited the Kasbah itself before getting to El Kelaa M'Gouna around 6pm.

It's worth emailing a few drivers and asking what their suggestions are for places to stop because they'll have a better idea of what you can fit into the time allowed.

Edited: 11:15 am, June 17, 2013
13. Re: Best Overnight Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2014