We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

We will be in Marrakech July 14-18, and I'm interested in doing a day trip from Marrakech on July 16. Any other couples going to be there and interested in sharing a car/guide?

First, I have received a response from a private tour guide regarding my original intended day trip, to the High Atlas with a stop at a Berber village and a hike up to the top to see the views. I was informed that because it is Ramadan, the tour guides will not be doing hikes (in light of the fasting). Anyone have advice on how to still do this itinerary even though it's Ramadan? Perhaps a non-muslim private tour guide that someone could recommend?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 40
1. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

Take a look in Lonely Planet guidebook for details of walks in the Imlil area, you don't need a guide.

From the centre of Imlil, take a left past the huge rock and keep going uphill to Tizi n'Tamatert, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z48E7mNPsDg

Los Angeles...
2. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

Tim, thanks for the response. If I intend to just take a grand taxi, then, and make a few stops along he way (hopefully I can find a taxi that's willing to stop/go and wait during our hike), do you recommend a hike in Imlil or the Ourika valley hike?

Is it a reasonable expectation to have a grand taxi take us on a faux-self guided tour? I saw in another post that someone did this.

Appreciate the help.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
3. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

I'd definitely head for Imlil. Whilst in Marrakech pop into Hotel Ali on the SW side of Djemaa el Fna and pick up a detailed map of the area.

Rough map: www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/photos/asni.jpg

Los Angeles...
4. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

If I hire a grand taxi to take us up to Imlil, can you recommend stops along the way that are interesting?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
5. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

Lake Lalla Takerkoust, Amizmiz and Moulay Brahim.

Los Angeles...
6. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

Tim, great, thanks. I appreciate the help. I will include those stops on our way up to Imlil. From the guide books, it also looks like maps of the possible hiking trails are also available in Imlil.

Now, I searched through the forum for the answer to my next question, as I know there has been much posted about Ramadan, but I couldn't find information in relation to Ramadan's effect on these day excursions/treks. I had wanted to stop at a Berber village for a meal, but do you know if they will be closed in observance of Ramadan?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
7. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

Some snack places in Imlil will probably be open.

sjhsartist
reviews: 3
8. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

Hi, TIm, Was in Marrakesh and went on day trip to Siti Fatima where the road turns into a track as it goes up the mountain. From there you can go up the footpath and find a couple of waterfalls then go back. The tracks are well worn. I liked the carpet shop there and bought a yellow rug which leaked colour. There is a basic hotel which did food. I shall be at ALIF when you are there. Hope it goes well.

Los Angeles...
9. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

Hi SJH, that sounds like it was fun. I've been doing research, though, and it seems we will be heading to Imlil instead. I'm stil debating whether to hire a private guide or whether to just take a grand taxi, but either way we will be taking Tim's advice (above) and making stops at Lake Lalla Takerkoust, Amizmiz and Moulay Brahim. As for my reasoning behind hiring the private guide, I want to be able to ask questions and maybe include a meal in a Berber village, and I think the guide will be helpful in that. Hope you had a great trip!

South East, England
reviews: 14
10. Re: July 16, Anyone interested in sharing private tour guide?

Hi, Can I ask what the details are to contact someone about a private tour?

Thanks