We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montclair, New...
reviews: 4
Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

I am very petrified of snakes. How can I avoid having a snake draped around my neck or a monkey

placed on my shoulder? If I am vigilant, can I avoid this happening or do I need to stay out of the

square??

30 replies to this topic
11. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:40 pm, October 28, 2013
Edited: 3:40 pm, October 28, 2013

Montclair, New...
reviews: 4
12. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

Thank you very much for the tip.

Wakefield, United...
reviews: 15
13. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

From what I can gather they are there in the daytime but not evenings - We were there most evenings during our holiday and didn't see one (which is a good job because I'm scared of them too :-)

Manchester, United...
reviews: 9
14. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

A quick 'la' in a stern way and a shake of the finger usually sends them packing even before they are within 20ft. Dont be afraid to be ignore them and send them packing if they persist, even if you think you may be rude (they are only after as much money as they can get from you). Usually eye contact and a slight interest in The animals is enough to get them over. I would recomend that people really ignore these people and stop funding the cruelty to the animals. I no great expert on snakes but they are all usually limp and docile almost looking dead, which cant be a great sign. The monkeys are dressed in nappies and are cruelly treated. Any animal which bares its teeth and cowers to its keeper at the same time is not a good sign. I am by no means a caped save the animals crusader but the square wouldn't be any less the special place without them. Ignore them and do not let it spoil your time in what is truley an extraordinary place.

Edited: 1:34 pm, June 23, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
15. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

I wonder if you have actually been in Djemma al Fna Jamie C. The snakes (and I have some knowledge of reptiles as part of my degree in zoology) are seldom torpid and can move at a rapid rate when the mood takes (anthropomorphic I know!) Very few of the monkeys wear nappies and are usually well treated. Otherwise they would not be used for public 'entertainment'. Baring of teeth can also be the equivalent of a simian smile, although not always. However, and I state again - this topic appearing frequently on the Marrakech forum - I do not approve of 'animal acts' anywhere on the planet. But if you feel the need to comment then please get your facts right.

London, United...
reviews: 19
16. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

The monkeys are teated cruelly , by being pulled with a chain around the neck , fact .

Manchester, United...
reviews: 9
17. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

Pilobobus2011 I take your comments on board about snakes. I did say I was no expert. But the monkeys do wear nappies and howard has seen the chains and tugging they get. I really do appreciate your understanding of primate behavioural and hierarchy but surley it goes out of the window once you drag it around with a chain? And yes I have been there otherwise I would not make a post.

Edited: 7:06 pm, June 23, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
18. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

Domestic dogs and choke chains, declawing housecats? I'm no fan of the monkeys in the square but a little perspective please. I have also seen the handlers cuddling and feeding the apes.

Edited: 7:34 pm, June 23, 2013
Edinburgh
reviews: 12
19. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

I sat at a roadside café once and watched a camel handler head butt and kick "his" camel as it would not obey commands.

I challenged his behaviour and got "dogs abuse"

His pals stayed silent .Guess they didn't like what they saw either.

A few minutes later he was kissing this poor beast and feeding it snacks.

An example of being "cruel to be kind".? I don't thinks so.

Avoid all "humans" who exploit animals .I say.

Marrakech, Morocco
20. Re: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna

Hi,

You can enjoy your time in Marrakech and in the square by simply ignoring the snake charmers and those people with the monkeys and not going too close. They won't annoy you if you don't give attention to them, and don't encourage them by paying too much for your entertainment.

Enjoy your stay and have fun!

Reply to: Snakes and Monkeys in Djemma al Fna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted