We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mornington...
Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

Hi, I'm visiting Marrakech in July and was wondering if anyone has can tell me any companies that do reliable overnight stays in the desert leaving Marrakech? We are a party of 4 (3 girls, 1 guy). Are there large groups or private tours?

York, United Kingdom
reviews: 3
1. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

Do a search on this forum and you'll find that most, if not all regular posters will advise against a day trip to the desert as there isn’t any desert near Marrakesh!

The closest dunes are a good day’s drive away from Marrakesh (8 hours if you stop for lunch and photos) which means it would take nearly 2 full days of driving in the July heat for a few hours in the sand. Also you’d miss all the sights along the way that, in my opinion, are much more interesting than the dunes at the end of the road.

A trip down to the dunes needs 3 days minimum really if you don’t want to spend 90% of the trip driving in a hot van.

There are plenty of companies that will offer an overnight trip to the dunes, but they really don’t care if you trip turns out to be a 2 days of driving for a few hours sightseeing.

I advise either doing it over 3 days or seeing if there’s a more cost and time worthy trip to do closer to Marrakesh.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
2. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

although shorter trips are available, most people would recommend you spend 3 or even 4 days for a desert tour from Marrakech as it is a long way to go for just an overnight - check this thread for more info:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k3995…

you can see reviews of various tour companies here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g293734-Activi…

and here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g304017-Activi…

Edited: 5:25 am, June 12, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
3. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

I totally agree with the posters above: three days MINIMUM is required.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
4. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

I would vote for 4 days :)

Taroudannt...
5. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

As nobody else has mentioned it, I will advise you that the Holy Month of Ramadan starts July 9th.

You should change your plans completely, and not consider going to the desert at that time. Stick to the Atlantic coast.

rochester
reviews: 4
6. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

Why change anybody's plans. The tourist industry doesn't just stop during Ramadan in any Arab country everyone has to work & make a living!

Taroudannt...
7. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

I disagree with Wayne, and I stand by my comment @5.

Wayne should try fasting, from dawn to dusk, for a few days in very hot weather. I have, and I sure as hell would not go to the desert at that time.

8. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:55 am, June 14, 2013
Edited: 9:55 am, June 14, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
9. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

Hello,

I visited Morocco in Jan this year, and had the most amazing time :)

I strongly recommend Trips to Morocco Tours, for your trip to the desert. All tour operators, follow the same protocol. However, prices differ, for no added benefits. Stupid, really. Trips to Morocco, in my opinion, does the best prices. I chose them after speaking to a gazillion other operators, who were much higher on the TA list.

Mohammed is fluent in Arabic, Berber, English & French. I'm sure you'll will be mesmerised :)

You can read my full review on this link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g304017-d210…

However, two things you should make sure of;

- The holy month of Ramzaan starts in July, it could have implications.

- If you're keen on going to Erg Chebbi, 3 nights is a minimum. Erg Chigaga would be 2 nights, minimum.

Please feel free to send me a message, on any other details you may require.

I hope you find Morocco to be as exotic as it is :)

New York
reviews: 7
10. Re: Overnight Desert Tour from Marrakech

Hi! I was just going to recommend the tour company my boyfriend & I took - Trips To Morocco - but I see the person above recommended them already! I think that's a good indicator he comes pretty highly regarded :) Mohammed was such a great guide, and the desert tour with him was really easy and enjoyable - by far my favorite part of our 10-day trip. We took a private tour for 3 days, and the price wasn't bad at all. I, too, compared with about 30 other companies & his was on the lower end for sure.

Highly recommend him - have so much fun!!!