We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 19
Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

My husband and I are thinking of travelling to Marrakech in early mid-July (the start of Ramadan this year). Has anyone experienced any difficulties during this time? I have heard it should be fine as long as you are respectful of the locals.

21. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:13 pm, October 28, 2013
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
22. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Tourists are not expected to fast but it costs nothing to eat, drink and smoke in hotels/cafes/restaurants rather than in the middle of the street.

Moroccans do change their dress habits during ramadan. I worked with a Moroccan woman who always wore make-up, high heels and tight-fitting clothes. Except during ramadan when she wore a kaftan, slippers and no make-up. The first time I saw her without make-up I thought she was ill!

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
23. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

I would add that people should think about what they are wearing. Walking around Jemaa El Fna in a string bikini and a chiffon top is not a good idea. And walking along avenue Mohammed V in black knickers and white short shorts - neither of which cover your bottom - is not a great look either.

Moroccans do get offended, whether they say so or not.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
24. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

I agree with heresmyreply. It may be acceptable to wear less in a coastal town but it is not in Marrakech and other large cities.

Tourists smoking is particularly upsetting for Moroccans who can't during their fasting hours so if nothing else please don't smoke near any local men. I have personally witnessed a French guy smoking while looking at DVD's near the square. The stallholder asked him please not to smoke and the French guy said "I am not a Muslim!" The stall guy was quite upset and I was angry at the tourist's lack of "respect".

25. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

26. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
27. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Yeah, I think the problem is that they can smell the smoke but can't smoke themselves.

I have a friend who drinks cappucino and smokes - he gets a little on edge when he's missing his "fix". When the fast ends at sunset the first thing he does is drink a cappucino, the second thing he does is smoke a cigarette, then he thinks about eating!

28. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 03, 2014