We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

My husband and I are thinking of travelling to Marrakech in early mid-July (the start of Ramadan this year). Has anyone experienced any difficulties during this time? I have heard it should be fine as long as you are respectful of the locals.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Hi,

From the main Morocco forum top question box;

www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums…

Your frequently asked question has loads of previously posted information about Ramadan and don't worry about older posts being out of date, the only thing that changes about Ramadan is the date.

Marrakech
8 posts
2. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Hi,

Yeah it is nice and no problem that you visit Marrakech during Ramadan. The problem is that you coming in the heat time. So, that time will be around 50 degrees temperature which is a bit unsupportable for you unless you are used to that heat.

By the way, visiting Morocco in Ramadan is not a problem, just you have to respect people by not smoking , eating or showing your body in the street.

Enjoy your time in Morocco

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

It has never reached 50 degrees Celsius in Marrakech. Damn close last year though but that was very unusual. Go with link provided by shimmin at post 1 above - lots of very useful information.

Marrakech
8 posts
4. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Yes, last year it reached 54 degrees in Marrakech in Marrakech during Ramadan time.

5. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:14 pm, October 28, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

49.6 degrees to be precise (previously reported by Tim Cullis and me).

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
7. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Hi there!

If you travel to Marrakech in this period of the year you should know from June to August temperatures are often in excess of 40 degrees and can reach the high 40′s.

As for the Ramadan, this is a very important religious event for the locals since Marrakech is part of the Islamic world. During Ramadan all Muslims have to fast from the sunrise till the sunset. Fasting is not an easy thing to do since locals are not allowed to smoke, eat and drink during daylight. So, you should avoid eating, drinking or smoking in the street and you should also pay some special attention to the way you choose to dress up (too revealing clothes are to be avoided). In broadlines, this is all you must know if you are in Marrakesh during Ramadan!

Enjoy!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

All of which has been said many, many times before including on this thread and the most useful link already provided by the author of the first response.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate it!

I am aware that perhaps it is not the best time to visit Marrakech due to the heat, however we are travelling the rest of Europe throughout this time and it is the only time we can work Marrakech into our trip and I have always wanted to visit so it's now or never!

Thank you again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Travel in Marrakech during Ramadan

Hello fellow crazy person!

I just found out After I booked the trip. I am a blonde American female traveling solo. I pray this is not a big mistake. Have you found any other websites that go into Nightlife, dress, etc.,I cant really back out now but I can cut it shorter by a day?