We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 13
Day Trips from Marrakech

Hey.

I'm leaving for Marrakech in a week and a half and my friend (who I'm traveling with) and I are considering taking a day trip.

We were thinking Ourika Valley, or Essaioura (although that's a bit far). But I was just wondering if there are any day trips y'all could recommend that aren't the normal tourist routes. We are interested in seeing Morrocco from a quieter more native perspective.

Also, if you have any tour guide recommendations, we'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Michael

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

I prefer Ouirgane to the Ourika valley - less touristy.

Paris, France
reviews: 75
2. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

I hope you get more responses because even I am interested in peoples suggestions

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 40
3. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

If you would like to read more... much more... stick 'day trip' into the search box for the Marrakech forum to retrieve literally a thousand or more previous threads on this subject.

New York City, New...
reviews: 13
4. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

I actually tried searching but I find the search feature on this site to be a little confusing and I keep getting threads that suggest the same few destinations.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 77
5. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

The most popular day trips are the ones you mention (Ourika and Essaouira).

I have also done day trips to various spots around the Atlas Mountains like Imlil, Oukaimeden and Ouirgane. If you go on Saturday then you can stop off at the local souk in Asni on the way - usually not many tourists around there.

A bit further out, Ouzoud (waterfalls) are also well worth a daytrip - tends to be more local than overseas tourists who make the trip to there.

Depends on how you plan to get around though, with a car you can easily get off the beated track and head into quieter areas of the Marrakech countryside (I like Tahanaout for example), but with public transport you are more limited.

6. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, June 01, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
7. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

I recommend a trip to Ourigane and Imlil. At Imlil you can hike about 20 minutes to the Hotel Kasbah which has a fabulous view of the Jebel Toubkal, the highest point in North Africa and 2nd highest in Africa. On the way up to Imlil, stop for tea at the hotel owned by Richard Branson on the left about 1/3 of the way from the junction. It is 17km from the junction to Imlil. Then you can go on to Ourigane where there is a lake, the Rosarie Hotel with walking paths and tons of roses and if you want to stay overnight, Chez Momo has great architecture and a nice pool with a view of the lake. Ourignae is about 1 hour to 1hr & 1/4 from Marrakech

The Ourika Valley is straight out Ave. Mohamed VIth and you can stop in any of hundreds of restaurants, ride a camel or walk up to a small waterfall. There are good views and lots of shopping. It can be crowded on Sundays.

The Ouzoud Falls are also stunning and you can walk to the bottom of the falls and then hike along the river with small cataracts along the way - also lots of places to eat and shop.

Have a great time - Morocco is a wonderful country to visit!

Shrewsbury, United...
reviews: 71
8. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

We were in Marrakech a couple of weeks ago and went to Essaouira for the day. It is a bit of a trek, but we fell in love with the place and found it much cooler as of course it's on the Atlantic, but the pace is slower than Marrakech. We had the most divine seafood lunch at the stalls by the harbour. We will definitely spend a couple of days there next time. Enjoy whatever you decide to do - its a wonderful country.

Clare :)

Brooklyn, NY
9. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

how would a day trip to any of these places be done via public transport? Especially to the Atlas Mountains? Any info is appreciated.

i will be arriving in Marrakech on July 4th (probably staying in Marrakech until the 8th or 9th), and would like to take a day trip from Marrakech, but i will not be renting a car.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
10. Re: Day Trips from Marrakech

Hi,

You can take a bus from the Gare Routiere bus station into the mountains then taxi further in if you like.