We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers, what are the details?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 94
Drivers, what are the details?

Hello all Morocco experts. I have read the extensive forums on hiring drivers in Morocco, but cannot find the general details and expectations of this.

If a traveller plans their OWN trip (tour points, accommodation, activities, and so on...) but wishes to hire a driver for the transport, can someone please tell me what are the normal terms of service? If the trip is multi-day, then is accommodation for the driver included in their price, or is the traveller expected to book also for the driver?... likewise for meals, drinks, and so on...

We are trying to decide if we drive ourselves or hire a driver. Both options have pro's and con's (and have been nicely detailed in many other posts), but because we want to stay at specific places and do specific activities we would like to get as much info as we can to make the final choice.

Thanks very much in advance for any clarification.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 32
1. Re: Drivers, what are the details?

The English speaking driver we hire in Morocco charges a fixed daily rate, it includes fuel, tolls, his food, his accommodation etc, etc.

I always think it is better to hire a driver as you are flexible in your plans, you can stop where you like and then choose whichever accommodation you want. We have taken a look inside a few hotels and then decided where to stay.

Hiring a car will definitely be cheaper but the person driving the car will miss out on most of the spectacular views (especially when going up and over the High Atlas mountain).

Expect to pay around 140 Euros a day for a private driver with a modern 7 seater type vehicle. The price is the final cost per day and does not change (regardless of how many people are travelling).

Hope this helps.....

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
2. Re: Drivers, what are the details?

Hi MIB15. Many thanks for the quick reply and the information.

Do most drivers have a 7 seater vehicle? This seems excessive if we will only be 2 people... I understand the logic for independent drivers, but I think a smaller vehicle will be more comfortable for only 2... If we book a driver with a tour operator are they likely to have different (smaller) vehicles for fewer people? Any experiences or opinions are appreciated.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 66
3. Re: Drivers, what are the details?

You can rent a normal car and ask the company if they can arrange a driver for you. You not need to have a 4x4.

4. Re: Drivers, what are the details?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:44 pm, October 28, 2013
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 32
5. Re: Drivers, what are the details?

In my experience, most of the private drivers do have Hyundai 7 seater vehicles (it does seem a bit excessive if there are only 2 of you) but they are very comfortable on long journeys.

I would say one of the most important things will be to have a driver who speak fluent English (unless you can understand French or Arabic).

NYC
6. Re: Drivers, what are the details?

We used a driver services from Marrakesh, he was speaking such a good English, comfortable vehicle, and very knowledgeable about his country traditions, sights, culture, local restaurants and routes from Marrakesh to Tangiers then we went down south to the Sahara. we paid 120€ includes petrol, his accommodation and his food, which was really much better than to rent a car and drive it by ourselves.

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
7. Re: Drivers, what are the details?

Thank you to you all very much for your advice... it is very helpful. Between my wife and I we speak 9 languages (including French and a little Arabic) so I think we are covered there... but your points about comfort and whether it is a "guide" or just a "driver" are well taken. Many thanks.

8. Re: Drivers, what are the details?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 17, 2014