We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert trip in July - too hot?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 38
Desert trip in July - too hot?

I will be in Morocco in July with my family (me, husband and 2 year old daughter). We would like to do a desert trip (Erg Chebbi) and whilst some tour companies have given us quotes, others have told us that it will be far too hot and not to go into the desert at this time. I know it will be ramadan so that may affect things also.

Can anyone give us some advice?? will it be too hot?

Thanks for the help!

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 41
1. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

It can be hot - around 40 degree or more, or less, but who can know exact?

Drink much water and try to not stay in the sun of course. And not outside around midday, only at morning or later evening.

Edited: 7:50 am, May 13, 2013
rochester
reviews: 4
2. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

I Am going around that date also but i am olive skinned and been to the Mojave dessert, Judean dessert ,siew in Egypt & around the valley of the kings which would be around the same temp & can say its hot. I would not recommend you subject a small child from England to these temp. To give you some idea some people have said to me its like opening an oven door when they walk outside their air condition hotel.

rochester
3. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

I apologise I see your from Hong Kong but I personally still would not recommend it Ive seen people collapse.

Taroudannt...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

Katherine, do not consider taking a two-year-old child to Merzouga/Erg Chebbi in July. Even though Wayne, above, cannot spell "desert" he has given you good advice. It is indeed an oven!

Instead, consult your Morocco guidebook and choose a location either on the Atlantic coast or in the mountains. Try to be in a place that has a hospital in case your little child needs medical attention.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 41
5. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

Right, I missed this 2-year-old child, sorry.

On other side, there are swimming pool so the child can enjoy the water in sand dunes :)

P.S. David, you did somewhere here one small icon smile :), how you did?

Edited: 12:23 pm, May 13, 2013
portsmouth
reviews: 8
6. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

Sorry but I believe such a trip would be no fun for a two year old child, even if there is a swimming pool. As others have said, better to be on the coast and leave the desert trip until your child is much older. I mentioned in another post how we suffered with 46C on holiday in Asilah one year. That was indeed like being in an oven with a hairdryer blown in your face!

Edited: 1:32 pm, May 13, 2013
rochester
7. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

Sorry David of my spelling of desert. I also misspelled Siew also it should be Siwa..

Windsor, United...
reviews: 27
8. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

Also do not forget ramadan starts around 12 July. So some places maybe shut during the day light hours I.e. may dampen your experience. Although its great time to enjoy and participate in fasting ; )

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
9. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

9th/10th July actually. Read the previous threads.

10. Re: Desert trip in July - too hot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:47 pm, May 13, 2013
Edited: 3:47 pm, May 13, 2013