We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Billericay, United...
reviews: 55
Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

We are travelling from the UK on a weeks half board holiday in June. We want to take some cash for spending at bars, restaurants, and particularly shopping and the souks. Is it best to take Euros or change up GB Pounds at our hotel into Dirhams ? We don't want to get stuck with 'unspent' dirhams at the end of the week, so would Euro notes be accepted in bars, the souks, etc ??

1. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:35 pm, October 28, 2013
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
2. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

Take GB pounds and your bank card and obtain dirhams in Marrakech. Obtain dirhams as and when you need them. It is preferable to pay for things in dirhams cash.

Thornton Cleveleys...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

Don't take a huge amount of GBP to change because your insurance probably won't cover the loss of a lot of cash and you can easily use ATMs to withdraw money around the city. Plus in some shops/restaurants you can use your card to pay by chip and pin.

Personally, I recommend a pre-paid card for security (I use the FairFX Anywhere card) but that's just my own preference.

You can always change dirhams back into sterling at the airport before you leave, so at most you'll only be stuck with a couple of pounds' worth of dirham coins. Don't take any euros, you'll find it annoying enough the amount of people asking you to change them in the street, so don't add any more to the equation!

As John says, the Top Questions link should give you plenty of information and using the forum search bar will also throw up dozens of posts on the subject.

Edited: 3:25 pm, May 10, 2013
Dixon
reviews: 20
4. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

I have never left Morocco with a single dirham in my purse. Oh, the pleasures of shopping in Morocco!!

I exchange USD in large and small amounts,keeping them in seperate pockets and pay as I go to avoid showing big bills while paying for small purchases. ATMs available everywhere--just notify your bank that you will be traveling so they don't freeze your account for "unusual activity".

Taroudannt...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

If indeed you do end up with a quantity of dirham coins, rather than take them out of the country why not give them to the ubiquitous beggars?

Your act of kindness will be well appreciated.

Billericay, United...
reviews: 55
6. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

Thankyou all for the responses. And to the lady who sent me an email. I am a lot more 'clued up' now as to what to do.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 1
7. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

If you visit Marrakech you'd better use the local currency which is the Dirham. When you arrive at the Marrakech airport there is a bureau de change where you can change your money into Dirhams. At the airport as well as in the city there are ATMs and you may change your money whenever you want.

Suggestion: Ask for some small notes or coins when exchanging money. Tips are customary in Marrakech and many everyday items cost much less than a 100 dirham note.

And don't worry about the Dirhams you did not spend because you can change them back into Euros or Sterlling at the bureau de change from the airport when you leave Marrakech.

8. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 pm, June 06, 2013
9. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:49 pm, June 06, 2013
10. Re: Taking money to spend while in Marrakech

Removed on: 2:49 pm, June 06, 2013