We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can we spend as little time haggling as possible?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 23
How can we spend as little time haggling as possible?

Apart from paying the initial asking price, that is. We anticipate doing some shopping, but dislike the whole price gouging-haggling scene. Are there certain areas (e.g. outskirts of the souks) where the process would be less painful?

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: How can we spend as little time haggling as possible?

The artisinal (artists' showrooms) on Avenue Mohammed V just outside of the medina walls (ramparts) opposite the cyberpark. Fixed prices, no haggling and a large variety of wares. Prices are government controlled so you could find goods cheaper in the souks but by and large fair. A pity as haggling is fun (when - if!) you get used to the process, and a way of life here. But I understand your concerns. You do not need to debate prices in the local kiosks, major stores and supermarkets. These are all set prices.

Tamworth, United...
reviews: 43
2. Re: How can we spend as little time haggling as possible?

Hi, we just returned last night and like you didnt want to waste time haggling too much.

It was so much easier than i had expected. The key is to decide what you are willing to pay before the haggling starts and stick to it.

We never spent more than a few minutes haggling because i had the price in my head and would have walked away if i wasn't getting it for that price(which i did on one occasion) I no doubt could have got things a little cheaper if i had of been willing to stay and haggle some more but there is so much to see that i wanted to get on with it and enjoy it.

The seller always started extortionately high with a price, we always made sure we went lower than we wanted to pay and met somewhere in the middle. On occasions there was a few thousand DH difference in his starting price and our starting price.

Don't be afraid its fun and an experience if nothing else

norfolk
reviews: 30
3. Re: How can we spend as little time haggling as possible?

most shops in the new town are fixed price. if you were spending a lot you could ask politely for a little consideration, but that isn't 'haggling' really. in the medina,there are a few 'tut' shops, selling postcards, table linens, tassels, toys and so on, which are fixed price. one we used was at the 'souk end' of derb al bacha, around the fondouks. might cost a few pennies more, but saves half a day.

Leeds, United...
reviews: 27
4. Re: How can we spend as little time haggling as possible?

I did most of my shopping at the Complex Artizan on Rue de la Kasbah. If you're planning to visit the Saadian Tombs, then it's just down the road from there.

It's a huge supermarket full of everything you could want (and stuff you didn't even know you wanted). The staff leave you in peace to browse, prices are fixed (but reasonable) and it's air conditioned.

I probably took the easy way out, but after constant haggling wth taxi drivers, I was in no mood for haggling over fridge magnets etc!

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
5. Re: How can we spend as little time haggling as possible?

The Complex Artisan tends to be more expensive than the one on Avenue Mohammed V.

london
reviews: 8
6. Re: How can we spend as little time haggling as possible?

will you be doing a trip report ?

7. Re: How can we spend as little time haggling as possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 12, 2014