We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
reviews: 14
Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

First thing to know:

Igomorocco.com is not actually a company. It has "partners" and outsources its work to others, including the company MamiTour. Igomorocco itself is actually only one person, run by a guy named Mounir. Also, because the "company," is only one person, if you try to contact with him, and he doesn't wish to respond then you are out of luck - no other managers/employees to talk to.

Second thing to note:

Mounir (at least at the time I contacted him) is not actually in Morocco. So if you need ground help, you are out of luck.

Third thing to note:

Tour pickup is included, but dropoff is not (despite company claims). I was picked up promptly. The group was dropped off at a gas station in town and each person had to make their own way home.

Fourth thing:

Accommodation varies wildly. Within the same lodging, some people can have incredible rooms, while other people very poor accommodations. In the room I was given to stay in in the valley had only two objects in it-- two twin beds. One of the twin beds was directly on the floor -

no bed frame. The toilet didn't work and had to be fixed by a manager. Other people had really nice rooms. Assignment was random; the hotel guy just handed out keys.

Fifth:

They will try to usher you to eat at certain places. Unless this place is the only restaurant (like a pit stop en route) then you do not actually have to eat in the place they tell you to.

Sixth:

The agency employees are untrustworthy. I lost my camera at the desert site but it was returned to Mami Tour as Mounir was out of the country. During the two week period that company had it before sending it, someone switched the operating language to French, deleted my photos and then used my camera to take a picture of their own. The agency had also wanted me to wire them near double the cost of what it took to send the camera.

+

The driver for the trip was very nice, and made the trip more enjoyable.

The scenery that you see on this tour (and other similar ones) is absolutely stunning.

The desert camp and ride was great. Knowing that there would be no facilities, I tried not to drink so much before we made our journey there, and was fine. The food was chicken tangine- everyone ate from the same plate. It was very communal, and fun.

We stopped at a Berber carpet place, and they gave us a demonstration about how they do what they do. That was cool.

----

Overall, I would recommend a desert tour, just with a different tour operator.

11 replies to this topic
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 290
1. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

a reputable company is worth the extra money..we had no problems , what so ever..none..

2. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:37 am, June 12, 2013

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
3. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

What a shame you had such a bad experience but thank you for posting as it will hopefully help others to make a decision before booking.

The choice of tour guide can make or break a trip. We were in Erg Chebbi when I asked our guide if he knew anywhere we could get traditional "Berber pizza" in the dunes as opposed to a café. He made a couple of calls and took us to a place with a traditional mud brick house and a small seating area under a gorgeous shady tree with rugs on the ground. There was also a German couple there when we arrived who were walking around looking at view.

The pizza-man made us two madfounas (one for each couple - although each one was the size of a table!) and the German couple's guide appeared from inside the house. He sat them at a tiny plastic table on child-sized plastic stools and brought them a plastic basket with their pizza cut into perfect little triangles. Then he brought them plates, knives and forks and disappeared without saying a word. They looked so uncomfortable.

We, on the other hand, were lying on the rugs with our guide chatting and laughing when the pizza man brought up the low, battered, wooden table he'd used to prepare the dough on and popped our pizza on it before slicing it roughly with a knife; no cutlery, no crockery just our hands and amazing food!

So there we were, reclining under a tree in glorious heat, eating, laughing and having a lovely time. The poor German couple were watching us and whispering and at one point they even took a surreptitious photo of us!

Before they left, the lady came over and we exchanged pleasantries in a mix of German and English and talked about the fabulous food and the desert experience.

When they left, I said how sorry I felt for them that they'd obviously not really enjoyed their experience. Our guide said it was, unfortunately, very common for tour guides to have next to no verbal contact with their clients whilst on the trip and to simply drop them off at pre-arranged points.

It made me realise how lucky we were with our guide and how easy it is to have a trip ruined. Our guide was actually recommended to me by a TA forum member who knows Morocco well - but I'd come across so many companies in my research that I could have easily picked a bad one.

Moscow, Russia
4. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

a

Edited: 10:23 am, June 21, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
5. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

Hello Adele,

We sent you an Email on May and we didn't hear from you. Please check your E mail again and get back to us .

With My Best Regards

London, United...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

Hi

I wrote the above about the Paypal deposit.

I'm sorry but it turns out they had responded but the email had automatically gone into my gmail spam. I had heard nothing from two emails (and I looked through spam but no joy at the time) so I had presumed it was a scam. So make sure to check your spam mail thoroughly, unlike me!

I was just contacted now by them two weeks later (I presume when this was seen) and refunded my deposit. Thanks for that igomorocco.

Such a shame as I ended up paying more for the exact same tour through someone else. I can't vouch for service now but it prob would have been the exact same bus as the one I went on which was fine. But I ended up paying more as I needed the booking urgently and the other persons email got through to me!

London, United...
reviews: 3
7. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

See post below regarding this please.

8. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:26 am, June 21, 2013

London, United...
reviews: 28
9. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

Please do not use this company (http://www.igomorocco.com/) if you value your safety and travel experience.

Myself and my 2 daughters were subjected to horrific violence, were cheated out of money, were promised facilities which didn't exist, and tour locations which didn't happen during a 3 day trip to Merzouga.

While the company were very quick to respond to emails (within hours) pre-booking and before the tour they are now not responding to communication.

Pavia, Italy
reviews: 1
10. Re: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review

I had a really bad experience with this company in a 3 day tour from marrakech to fez.

I wrote a lot of mail to igomorocco, and he told me that everything was ready: a 3 days tour from marrakech to fez, everyday in an organized bus.

the first day at 7 am of the first day, as I was told by email, there was a mami tour guide in front of my hotel.

i followed to guide to a bus and he immediately asked me the money, i gived to him and he completely dissapeared.

in my bus everybody was coming back to marrakach, i said to the bus driver that i should go to fez. he did not know anything, he said that in this bus everybody was coming back to marrakech.

I said that i book a tour that ended in fez, and he asked me if i was sure about it, that i have to pay for a taxy (100euros, 6 hours) or for a bus (20 euros 12 hours) there is no tour that ends in fez. i showed to him the igomorocco mail, and he tried to call my guide but he had for all the 3 days of the tour the cellular phone turned off.

I have to say that the bus tour from marrakech to merzouga was ok and the night in the desert was great. but this is not organized by igomorocco or mami tour, they just give you a place in a bus, you can reserved the same excursion in every marrakech hotel, for the same price.

the second day I gave the number of the second igomorocco contact person to my bus driver and to the desert guide.

they ask her about my trip to fez and he did not know anything, she also said that i have to pay for a taxy, even if i have already paid more for the marrakech-fez tour on igomorocco website.

the mornig of my last day, when i was supposed to go to fez I,finally, obatined to not pay the taxy, and mami tour gave to my bus driver the money to get me a taxy.

there was a further problem: all the bus and the taxies were booked. My guide said that IGOMOROCCO IS NOT A SERIOUS AGENCY and I WAS FORCED TO STAY ANOTHER DAY IN MERZOUGA; THERE WAS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO GO TO FEZ. I lost the money of the hotel i had already booked in fez, and i have to wait the the day after, when arrived other 2 people that should go to fez and there was, in the end a taxy.

if i had my flight on that day it was completely impossible for me to catch it, i lost an entire day for igomorocco disorganitation.

the desert guide was really kindly to me, he let me to stay for free in his hotel another day an to do a second night in the desert.

i suggest you to not book this tour by igomorocco, but by a local agency when you will arrive in marrakech.

If you want a tour that starts and ends in marrakech this company is ok, but do not let them to organized something of more complecated also if is written on their website: they are not really able to do that.

Stefano

Edited: 12:13 pm, October 26, 2013
Reply to: Igomorocco / Mami Tour review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted