We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
andover
reviews: 3
Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

Hi -anyone know if I can buy argan oil, if so, where can I get it and roughly how much will it cost?

Will be there in 10 days time with 3 friends it will be our first time in Marrakech, so excited!

19 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
1. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

Yes you can get it - many places sell it all over the city.

Price depends on quality and how well you can bargain - there is also a price difference between cosmetic and culinary argan oil.

errachidia
2. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

hello yes for sure , there is a plenty of arganshops in the city . but i ve an other suggestion for you ,try to take a day excursion to essaouira or to ourikka valley with cerian tours company via tripadviser just look for things to do in marrakech and get a tour than you will get it more cheaper in feminin co operatives out side marrakech .

hope to enjoy your time in morocco and if you need more info just ask /

3. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, April 27, 2013

London, United...
reviews: 34
4. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

You will have no problem finding Argan Oil in Marrakech. The price will vary depending on producer (e.g. is it commercially produced or from a co-operative), size of bottle, usage - external or internal etc. It will also depend, as someone has already mentioned, on your own bargaining skills!

I started using Argan Oil as a facial moisturiser about 8 months ago after having had a massage with it and love it. I do recommend you try a drop on your skin first though if if you can - and make sure you smell it. I have found different ones have stronger nuttier smells and some are absorbed better by my skin than others.

norfolk
reviews: 30
5. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

if you want a pure and inexpensive product, look in the supermarkets. they sell both cosmetic and cooking argan oils. they cost considerably less than the same brand in the fixed-price artisal emporium.

if it is for cosmetic use, for yourself, do not buy huge quantities. it has a relatively short shelf-life and a little goes a long way.

i have found it helpful for psoriasis and for dry, badly-abused hair. it makes a nice night skin treatment about once a week too.

London, United...
reviews: 34
6. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

Absolutely agree about a little going a long way. It may seem a bit pricey - even in Morocco- at first but when you work the cost out by usage it really is very good value for money.

Leeds, United...
reviews: 27
7. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

I have Argan Oil on my hair now, as I type. First time I've used it - Does anyone know if it should be washed out or left in please?

I purchased it from the women's cooperative in the Atlas Mountains and it cost around £7 for 100ml. When you have seen the process involved in producing it, it is understandable why it is not cheap.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
8. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

I like the Assouss Argan shop on Rue Mouassine for their oil because it is a great quality and is a reasonable fixed price so no haggling needed - don't bother with their black soap/amlou/honey/moisturisers etc though because they are ridiculously overpriced.

The little 100ml glass bottles with yellow labels that you see all over the place are fine too. I've used that oil and it was quite nutty and perhaps not as refined as other oils but it certainly does the job just the same. Just make sure you haggle well for it.

Culinary argan oil is cheap enough in the supermarket and you really must try some if you can - it is one of the most delicious things ever and is fabulous in salads, on new potatoes or jacket potatoes in place of butter..........so many ways to eat it, I can't list them all. It is also proven to have significant health benefits when taken internally but Google should provide all the info you need on that subject.

With regards to hair, it depends how much you use as to whether you leave it in or not. If you use a really small amount, you should be able to leave it on in place of a serum and it shouldn't be greasy. If you want a full treatment then liberally slather your scalp and hair with it and leave it on for a couple of hours or overnight before washing it off. I warm it first using a glass bowl over another bowl of hot water - DO NOT MICROWAVE - and then tip it all over my head, massaging it into the scalp. I also add a few drops to my henna whenever I colour my hair.

To be honest it completely depends on your own hair type, how much oil you use and the effect you want. Just play about until you find a way that suits you.

Cost of argan oil? It alters slightly depending on the exchange rate, I think I paid around £18 for 200ml of cosmetic oil at Assouss Argan (compared to the UK prices of up to £20 for 50ml!!!!) . I think my 250ml of culinary oil was about £7 in the supermarket - but I might be wrong. I bought quite a few different brands to bring home because we use it every day in the kitchen and I take it "medicinally" to help with my joint problems.

The little yellow bottles that they try to sell for 200MAD are probably only worth about 70MAD but you can find a lot of these things much cheaper if you go to the shops away from the tourist areas of the city, such as Bad Doukkala.

If you type "firdaous" into the forum search bar you will bring up a few posts on another recommended shop but I haven't personally ever been there. These posts have more information as to cost as well. Hope this helps!

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
9. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

Hi, if I have to buy cosmetic Argan oil in Marrakech, then I buy it from Herboristerie Firdaous . The shop has fixed prices and you should expect to pay £15 for 250ml. The price is fixed, no haggling to be done and no discount will be offered (trust me, I have tried a few times). The oil will be pure and there will be a "use by" date on it.

The main thing with Argan Oil is to find the best quality with the longest possible date left on it, the most time you should keep the oil for is 2 years (if it is kept in a cool, dark environment). I would say it is good for around 1 year. You will know when the oil is at the end of its usefulness as the smell and colour will change, it always has a nutty smell but the smell will change after a long time.

I have been using the oil (and bringing it back for my family) for the last 5 years, when you get the "pure oil" it is the best remedy for a lot of things.

The best oil I have found was in a co-op factory where they were making the oil, it was not one of the shops that are dotted around for the tourists, it was an industrial unit making oil on a large scale. The oil was so fresh as it was being made in front of me. That cost around £30 per litre, you can get it cheaper in some other factories but you don't know what the quality will be like (some factories were offering a litre for £12, which did not sound right to me).

Edited: 3:23 pm, April 27, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
10. Re: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?

Hi,

There is also a fairly new shop, by C.O.M. at 170 Bab Doukkala selling quality argan products (though I also recommend the Assouss shop on Mouassine). From Dar el Bacha the shop is about 4 minutes along Rue Bab Doukkala on the right hand side (almost opposite the Henna Cafe).

Reply to: Can I get Argan Oil in Marrakech?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted