We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 1
Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

So I'm planning to visit Marrakech for a few days in late June (I will arrive in Marrakech around the 21st june). I really want to see as much as Marrakech has to offer, is 2 or 3 days enough to visit all the main sites?

I would also really love to do a 3 day/ 2 night desert trip to Erg Chebbi, including seeing a few of the sites and towns along the way, camping overnight, a camel ride (all of the standards really!) I am on a very tight budget for this trip. I would like to know if someone can give me some recent price quotes for a desert trip (and also the company name would be very helpful!) I know there is already a lot of discussion on this topic but I am having trouble finding recent price quotes. For the whole (approximate) 6 days I am in Morocco I would like to not spend any more than £300 (hostels are looking to be about £5-£10 a night)

Many thanks for any help you can offer!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
1. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

Hi,

I'm afraid your budget is too low. Even cheap hostel accommodation is around 200 Dirhams per night. 6 days is a very short time to include a desert trip, you could easily spend the whole time in Marrakechwithout getting bored. I'd suggest doing either just the trip to the desert or visit Marrakech with a day trip into the mountains or over to Essaouira on the coast.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
2. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

Yes I think 2 or 3 days is enough to see the main sights in Marrakech.

I can't help you with specific desert tour prices as Ive only ever done it by self drive - although if you are really on a tight budget then you could consider public transport as you can get to Merzouga by public buses from Marrakech or you might try to club together with a few other travellers at your hostel and hire a grand taxi together, will work out much cheaper than any organised tour.

London, United...
3. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

how long would it take on public transport to reach Merzouga from Marrakech? and hw far from Merzouga is Erg Chebbi? Would I have to pre book a company for my desert trip or could I find one on arrival?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
4. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

Merzouga is the town at the edge of Erg Chebbi - check the Merzouga forum and section on here for more info

It is a long bus ride - like 12hours. So usually people break it up with a night somewhere on the way.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
5. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

I am afraid you have not much time to go to Erg Chebbi, 6 days are very short time. To Erg Chebbi and back it takes time, 2 x 12 hours, you come late there so you would need to stay 2 nights there for to do your camel trek. Count self how many days you could stay in Marrakech and if it is worth to go so far without to see something more along the way, only from the bus window.

London, United...
6. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

do you think 4 days would be enough then. And if I cannot go to Erg Chebbi are there any similar excursions I can do that will be appropriate for 3 days / 2 nights? x

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
7. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

Late June can be extremely hot (last year was around 40ºC) so rather than heading for the sand dunes it might make more sense looking at Imlil which is at 1700m, so much cooler than Marrakech, or head for the coast.

Your budget is not realistic, Marrakech and other touristy places are much more expensive than rural Morocco.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
8. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

If you are willing to stay in £5/10 a night hostels and eat basically then you can get by on £300 for a week in Morocco (not including flight) - but trying to fit in a night or 2 in the desert will bump up the cost considerably even by public transport.

So take the above advice and try a trip to the Atlas mountains or Essaouira on the coast for a cheaper option.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
9. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

Hi nibrika,

please name some places to stay that Katie G can find for £5-10 per night.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
10. Re: Information on Morocco holiday and desert trip needed

there are plenty on the standard hostel websites - including options in Marrakech, Ourika or Essaouira