We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it true about the blue bags?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 9
Is it true about the blue bags?

I read on a blog

" We part, and I head off with my purchases wrapped in blue bags.

It is only later that I learn blue bags are reserved for customers who’ve shown themselves to be poor negotiators, identifying them to other shopkeepers as easy marks."

Is this true? i cant find any other information about this? also if it is true are their any other cloured bags that mean other things?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

Hi,

No, I've never heard this so suspect someone was pulling the bloggers leg.

Edited: 8:41 am, April 24, 2013
london
2. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

ah thank you!

i was preparing to bring all clear bags with me a) i suspect i will be a bad haggeler at least once and b) would rather not know if i have

norfolk
reviews: 30
3. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

you could practise your green habit and take a shopping basket. or buy one on place d'epices.

Thornton Cleveleys...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

I've never heard that before - I've also never had a blue bag, which may or may not be a good thing! ;-)

You will probably end up with a Tesco carrier bag at some point though.

My advice when buying ANYTHING is to remember that you are paying for the experience and the memory as much as for the item itself. I have a very expensive hand-crafted Berber necklace that I bought in Ourika Valley. Seeing it always takes me straight back to a perfect moment in time, sitting in the sunshine by a tinkling river and eating an amazing goat tagine.

I force myself to forget that the same neckalce is widely available on ebay for the princley sum of 99p INCLUDING postage from China!

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 21
5. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

LaLico,

Oh you've sure given me smile....... I've a house full of 'experiences' all bought with the good faith of their usefulness.. beauty.....necessity.... uniqueness etc etc. But even though I may now have forgotten where I've put some of them, the memories surrounding their purchase are not!!

Edited: 5:22 pm, April 24, 2013
london
6. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

i was thinking of taking your advice Pam and bring my own bag from home .

I plan on buying quite a few things but I honestly am not looking for something that is going to be valuable in England like coral or silver.

I'm looking for things I like, I dont have the money to get expensive things Ill settle for well made nice things.

I'm mostly wanting some leather goods some kaftans and some local cosmetics and maybe a tea set , luckily this forum has given me a price guide to work to and some great advice! (im coppy and pasting things i find interesting so i can print and take with me)

I have resigned my self to the fact at some point i may loose out on money but that has happened on almost every Holliday I've had , in france i had a euro train pass and because i didn't book a seat ( i didn't know i needed to do) i was fined 40e these things happen , you just have to think that one day it will make a very funny dinner party story.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
7. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

There are a large range of 'green' (ie environmentally friendly) woven bags in a variety of designs, colours and sizes at Rahma Kedima square in the main souks.

For the record I have never been given a blue bag either!

8. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:02 am, October 29, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
9. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

I would take it as a compliment too John W. I often get "is your friend a Berber?" and as a Scot I too take that as a compliment!

jasminstarr - if you are not fond/practised at haggling then your first stop might be at the Artisinat on Avenue Mohammed V, just outside the medina walls in the New Town. You can judge prices there (they are fixed) before venturing into the souks proper. You'll find gandoras and djellabas (kaftans) there as well as tea sets and many, many more items.

london
10. Re: Is it true about the blue bags?

sounds great! i honestly can't wait .

i'm not practiced at haggeling but im an actor and not shy ,my french is pritty good also my friend is learning arabic as a degree and he is going to give me some lessons so i can be super confident as i want the experince of shoping in the souks! if i go to a set price shop i may as well be in england!