We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlas Mountain

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Atlas Mountain

HI

I am visiting Marrakech in the next few weeks, and wish to see the Atlas Mountains. I have seen various prices quoted for tours etc, can anyone tell me what or who does the best tour, and the best price.

thanks

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Atlas Mountain

Depends where you want to visit and whether it is a private tour or part of a tour group (normally the cheaper option). The nearest mountain range to Marrakech is the High Atlas and there are several worthwhile destinations you can choose from. Day trips are possible but so are overnight and longer stays. You will need to narrow down your preferences before anyone can suggest tour agencies, individual drivers and guides (remembering that drivers are not normally guides) and prices. It is somewhat like asking the same questions of the Lake District and Penines!

London
2. Re: Atlas Mountain

thanks for that, I am looking at a day trip, no real need for a guide ...staying at the Zalagh Kasbah Hotel . I am fine to go in a group as well.

London, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Atlas Mountain

Check where you are being taken for lunch! We had a hilariously bad lunch at a terrible cafe on the road up to the mountains near a Berber village. It was totally tasteless. If you get the choice, ask for a home-cooked meal in a Berber house.

London
4. Re: Atlas Mountain

thanks, how much did you pay for your tour, and who did you do it with?

Roslyn, New York
reviews: 8
5. Re: Atlas Mountain

Hi Guvnor, greetings from New York. I love your name so I have to help you ! Here goes: My wife & I just returned from a wonderful trip to Morocco . In Marrakesch, we stayed at the beautiful Riad Noir d'Ivoire . They arranged a day tour of the High Atlas mountains for my wife and I. There are many possible route options and I left it up to them to plan a lovely tour for us. If I recall, I paid the driver 190 Euoros + tip <paid cash so I don't have receipt>. The vechicle was a Hundai SUV, clean & comfortable, driver was very professional, pleasant, spoke excellent English and was certainly well enough informed for our tour. Sorry I can't tell you the exact route he took, but we passed old villages, gorgeous mountain views and the best part, our Riad made reservations for us to have a late lunch at Kasbah Bab Ourika in Ourika. This is a luxurious small hotel high atop a hill, amazing views , food/service excellent and you can tour their lovely grounds. Oh yeah, along the way, we stopped often for pictures and a short camel ride <my wife's idea: you will see men/camels along the roads waiting for tourists like us !>. Our tour was approx. from 10am-4pm <10:00hrs-16:00>, which was fine for us.

On a separate matter, we had a private transfer when we left Marrakech to Fes , English speaking driver w. van. We chose the longer "scenic" route through Middle Atlas Mtns. <8 hrs.-scenery not great> but should have taken the highway route <through Casablanca & Rabat> and saved probably 2 hours of driving.

No insult meant Guvnor, but from what I saw, guides/drivers in Morocco range from Excellent to Terrible, more so than many other countries we have visited, so chose carefully. Overall, Moroccans are very nice people and again...we really enjoyed our trip. Safe Travels !

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
6. Re: Atlas Mountain

Did your 190 euros include lunch???

Usually it only costs 80-90 euro to for a daytrip (10am-4pm) to the Ourika Valley in a Hyundai SUV......

If you want a longer daytrip or to go further away, then the maximum you should pay (for the whole day 9am-7pm) is £140 euros (for a driver with a 7 seater type vehicle).

Roslyn, New York
7. Re: Atlas Mountain

Hello MIB. The 190 Euros was only for the car & driver for my wife and I. Of course, like everyone, I try to get the best value for all purchases. I received high quality service and accepted the price . For our lovely lunch at Kasbah Bab Ourika, we sat outdoors and had gorgeous mountain views. Prices weren't cheap, or outrageous, but this was a very special travel experience which we have memories and pictures of.

London
8. Re: Atlas Mountain

thanks AKNY007, sounds like you had a great day trip. Maybe it is best then to organize it through the hotel ?

MIB15 when you quote 80 -90 Euros, do you mean per person or total?

thanks

Roslyn, New York
9. Re: Atlas Mountain

Hi Guvnor,

Yes, it was a special day...and again, the memories and pictures will linger. In thinking, I may have paid slightly less, not much less, for the trip...but it was worth it. For sure, we were in the Ourika Valley, one of the preferred routes for a day trip to the Atlas Mtns.

You are absolutely correct in stating that you should have your hotel arrange the tour for you. They can assist in planning the tour and most importantly, they will certainly use companies that have pleased their guests and they will have a lot more leverage with the tour companies than you will have. Your time on holiday will be precious and reliability and your satisfaction of course are very important. Enjoy your holiday ! Alan

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
10. Re: Atlas Mountain

Hi,

The prices MIB15 quoted are total not per person. 190 Euros for a day trip not including lunch is very expensive.