We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you determine whether you are buying a good carpet

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 1
How do you determine whether you are buying a good carpet

I keep reading that you have to make sure you are buying a good carpet but who do you do that. How do you determine whether it was hand made that it has the appropriate amount of knots. Also how do you make sure that the dyes were fixed and the colors won't fade or bleed into one another once you bring the carpet home.

Thank you.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
1. Re: How do you determine whether you are buying a good carpet

Hi,

Go to a reputable carpet seller for starters. Your hotel or Riad should be able to steer you in the right direction. Once the carpet dealer realises you are seriously interested in buying (you should make this clear from the start and be prepared for quite a long session) he will talk you through the carpets he has available, show you the difference between machine and hand made and also tell you about the dyes used. It can be a fascinating process but will involve a long session so you have to be prepared to fully involve yourselves and you won't even get to prices until he has shown you a whole heap of carpets. Then the serious haggling will begin!

The Artisanal on Mohammed 5 may be easier than a random carpet shop in the souks.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: How do you determine whether you are buying a good carpet

There are many resources on the internet to help you with this before you arrive. Type 'carpets Morocco' into Google and you'll discover a lot of useful information (hidden amongst the commercial sites).

Here's one from a online newletter from Fes as a good starting point:

…blogspot.com/p/beginners-guide-to-moroccan-…

Dixon
reviews: 20
3. Re: How do you determine whether you are buying a good carpet

Just a few hints from from my trip with my daughter 2 years ago. When you are with a large carpet seller, they spend a lot of time explaining patterns and quality over tea, lots of tea. Then you pick your 20 or 30 favortites--not kidding-- and examine each one for color and texture. You walk on the 10 or more that you like the best. By this time your head is spinning and your bladder is ready to burst. Once you choose a carpet you love they give you an even better price when you buy 2 or more. After the sale you are expected to tip each of the sons/brothers/cousins who rolled out carpets you looked at. Our biggest mistake was buying carpets on our first day in Marrakech. We carried those heavy parcels with us for several days until paying for FedEx to ship them home. That cost nearly $500 USD. I'm going back next month. This time I will buy carpets at the end of my trip, not in the first couple of days. So many merchants to choose from, no hurry to get a "great bargain" under sales pressure.

4. Re: How do you determine whether you are buying a good carpet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 19, 2014