We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert Tour (Marakkech/Fez - Desert - Marakkech)

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 2
Desert Tour (Marakkech/Fez - Desert - Marakkech)

Hi,

I'm trying to organise a trip to the desert in early May for a party of 4 pp. Two of us are coming from Fez - the other two from Marakkech. We are hoping to meet in the desert (perhaps in Erg Chebbi or Erg Chigaga) after a full day of travel. The aim is travel all day Saturday - have Saturday night/Sunday/Sunday night in the desert and drive back on Monday to Marakkech. We also want to camp in the desert instead of just stay in one of the desert towns. Is this feasible? I've heard it's an 8-9 hour car trip and many on the forum suggest to take a break - but we really want to see the sand dunes over our short trip!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
1. Re: Desert Tour (Marakkech/Fez - Desert - Marakkech)

It's not viable to travel from Fez to Erg Chigaga in one day, so your only meeting point can be Erg Chebbi.

On the assumption that both groups have hire cars, then from Fez to Erg Chebbi it's maybe nine hours, from Marrakech more like ten or eleven hours.

You'll need two nights in the sand dunes to make up for this and to prepare you for the return mega road trip.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
2. Re: Desert Tour (Marakkech/Fez - Desert - Marakkech)

What I didn't really get over in the above response is that whilst it's theoretically possible, it doesn't make it a good idea. Ideally you should be looking to spend four or more days on the road portions of this type of trip.

By rushing around at breakneck speeds you won't have time to stop and visit the many places on the way which make the trip so enjoyable. And you'll be on busy main roads all the way.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
3. Re: Desert Tour (Marakkech/Fez - Desert - Marakkech)

It will be a long trip for you coming from Fez to Merzouga (Erg Chebbi), it will be a nightmare for those travelling from Marrakech to Merzouga.

It is not just about the times involved, the first few hours of the trip (from Marrakech), where they will get to drive up and over the Atlas Mountain, they will have to concentrate 100%, a one second lack of concentration will have disastrous consequences. By the time they get to Merzouga, they will not want to do anything but sleep, then you will have Sunday free, and then on Monday, you will have another full day of driving back to Marrakech (12 hours).

Don't get me wrong the Desert is magical and is definitely worth doing, the only reason I am warning you is that I have to be prepared for the long days travelling and as Tim has already pointed out, you will get to miss out on a lot of nice things to see and do along the way.

4. Re: Desert Tour (Marakkech/Fez - Desert - Marakkech)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 17, 2014