We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
reviews: 14
Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

Hi.

I'm unsure of what to do at this point. I had a camera, and lost it while on tour in the desert. The desert people found it, and returned it to the tour agency, however, by this time I had already left Morocco. When I found out it had been returned (I phoned the desert people), I contacted the agency I booked with (igomorocco.com) only to find out that it had been subcontracted to the Mami Tour agency and that I should contact her. The guy from igomorocco.com (Mounir) does not have a phone contact (I wish I had seen this when I was booking) and apparently is the only one at his "company," and after a few emails, no longer replies. The lady at Mami Tours who I spoke to says that he is out of the country. The lady at Mami Tours (Latifa Sabih) says that she received my camera and would send it to me once I got the payment. I said okay. She asked for 339 dirham (I think this is too much, right?) to send my camera, and to give it to her via western union. I think it over and talk with others and they say just bite the bullet and pay it, so that I can get the camera back. So I did that. The money was sent on Sunday night, April 7, so today is the 4th full day they would have had to collect the money and mail the camera to me. Emails get no response. This whole thing, from the receipt of the camera at Mami Tours until now, is about 2 weeks. Should I just try to cut my losses, telling western union to do a cease payment before she tries to access the money, and say forget it to the camera/pictures, or do you think it is worthwhile to keep trying to pursue this?

Astoria, New York
reviews: 8
1. Re: Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

it depends are how much your camera is worth to you and also the physcal value is it a $100.00 camera or is is a $1000.00 camera, if you sent the money on the 7th, give it a litte bit of time i would wait until say monday that would make it a week and then start contacting them.

busy season is starting so maybe they didnt have a chance to go to retrieve the monies and go to post office.

i see you are in NYC i will be leaving for Marrakech tomorrow if you want IM me and maybe they can drop it off at my riad i work in NYC

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
2. Re: Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

The 7th April was a Sunday, they wouldn't have been able to collect the money and post the item on a Sunday. Whilst the lost item is your priority it may not be for the tour company. They may have other guests to deal with.

NYC
3. Re: Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

Well, the answer is no. They finally did return the camera, but when they did, it was used. The operating language was set to French, someone deleted all my photos, and then that person used the camera to take one random picture. I wouldn't trust either of these companies again.

4. Re: Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:48 am, October 29, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 71
5. Re: Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

Shame that someone deleted the photos

To be honest, I would have expected you had no chance of getting the camera back so I would at least give them some credit for returning the camera back to you in USA

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 310
6. Re: Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

if it were me..i would just be grateful to have the camera back in my possession. yes, pictures are valuable, but they are gone, and the camera is back..

NYC
7. Re: Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

I have to give Riad Jona big credit for getting my camera back to me. I was having difficulties with my tour agency, and finally got them to drop it off at Riad Jona (for the other traveler who said she could pick it up). It ended up missing her, but Riad Jona quickly shipped it out (priority, too), and didn't charge me for it (even though I offered) even though I didn't actually stay at their Riad. They rock!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 310
8. Re: Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

i would be so grateful...

9. Re: Lost item- Should I trust the tour company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, May 09, 2014