We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you recomend Marrakesh with kids?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amersham, United...
Would you recomend Marrakesh with kids?

We are looking to book a 3 night trip to celebrate a significant birthday for both hubbie and me this September and want to bring our two children too. One is 9 (boy), the other a 17 year old girl. We have read a number of rave reviews about Marrakesh, it sights, the food, beautiful hotels and the opportunity for some amazing experiences like hot air balloons at dawn, camel rides etc However, we are a little concerned about the potential for less welcome experiences, like being constantly hassled and the intimidation which our children may feel which would mar the holiday. Has anyone any experience of taking their children to Marrakesh and any tips they could pass on?

thanks

GC

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 279
1. Re: Would you recomend Marrakesh with kids?

i think your children will be fine. what do all of you expect?. what life lessons have you given them ?. we met a frantic french family in the medina , one night. their young girls were wanting to go back to the riad, and the family thought they were lost. we helped them get to the square, and where they seemed to feel "safe." we saw them the next night, looking thru the souks, and asked them how they were enjoying morocco..wonderful, they said..it was just a fleeting moment of another country, crazy medina..and now they loved it.

what an experience for all of you.

2. Re: Would you recomend Marrakesh with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, April 05, 2013
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 279
3. Re: Would you recomend Marrakesh with kids?

funny, we had the opposite experience. would never call a muslim (try and spell it right) a .....bag. that is language that might pertain to where you live .lesson learned....we had a wonderful time. let's see...you get what you give out...

Dixon
reviews: 17
4. Re: Would you recomend Marrakesh with kids?

Book a "nanny tour" so your every moment is limited to your comfort zone. You can buy postcards from the hotel lobby to show your friends the places you didn't see. Or you can embrace your trip as an adventure, and truly experience the city, warts and all.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Would you recomend Marrakesh with kids?

Hi,

I went to Marrakech with my kids recently,

I had the same doubts you had.. But the trip turned out to be one of our best family trip.

Yes, we had the 'hassling' & conman etc but in a way, things are still under control,

They will leave you in peace if you don't show

interest in what they offer or when you say no nicely.

You might want to consider the hassle as a game & tell your kids before the trip.

Some of the 'tricks' they use is so classic that you know it straight away e.g medrasa close today, tannery on one day sale.

About intimidation with children, my 9yrs old daughter was not 'touched'. My 3yrs son was hugged, but with permission. :)

Wish u all the best in your journey, we can't wait to have another trip there :)

London, United...
6. Re: Would you recomend Marrakesh with kids?

I went with my 1 year old this Feb for a week. You're right, it's a lot of hassling there but I found the people there in general love babies a lot. I can't say they all good and of course you need to take good care of your kids. But consider your kids are not very little little, they should be fine. One thing I want to remind you is that the air there is quite polluted.

7. Re: Would you recomend Marrakesh with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 07, 2014