We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medina tours

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 3
Medina tours

I am having some difficulty finding a guide for a medina tour when i get to Marrakech. I'm emailing round but not getting many replies.

I've received a quote from one company (comes highly recommended on TA) at 80 euros for half a day which seems pretty extortionate, is this a typical price for a half day tour?

Wollongong
reviews: 95
11. Re: Medina tours

We are also considering taking a guide for the Medina in Marrakech. I'm sure we could get around on our own with a guide book but would like to also see the parts we may miss on our own as well as get some information from a "local". We are willing to pay for this. We want a private tour for the two of us. Are the prices you quote per person therefore, doubling it for the two of us?

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 57
12. Re: Medina tours

You not need have guide, you will have nice to go alone. Have only map with you and go :) and if you go lost, go to nearest restaurant or riad and they show you without to have a paid for theirs advice. Save those terrible 80EUR for something more better than have a guide in Marrakech. Take with you a small compass as I am used to do and you will be fine.

13. Re: Medina tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:09 am, October 29, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 65
14. Re: Medina tours

I know many on here will recommend that you don't need a guide, but we shouldn't forget that some people are less intrepid than others and a visit to the Marrakech Medina can be overwhelming for first timers!

If people are looking for a guided tour then I don't think they should pay any more than €30 or €40 per person for a full day including lunch - the €80 quoted by the company mentioned in this thread seems excessive, although I guess it depends what exactly is included.

Lisse, The...
reviews: 75
15. Re: Medina tours

I'am a little confused by the prices mentioned in this topic. Are these prices per person or for a group (2 in our case)? I've looked at the websites of several well rates guides on Tripadvisor and most of them ask 65,00 till 90,00 Euro for a day (for the 2 of us). I got a quote of 80,00 Euro for a 3 hours tour by mail from Rachid Boussalem. To my opinion this is rediculus but he is high rated on TA. So can somebody please clear this for me?

Stockholm, Sweden
16. Re: Medina tours

nibrika, I have respect for you, but to talk about that some people are less intrepid than others in the context of the medina in Marrakech, it's almost funny, sorry. As the Medina there would be something dangerous. No, it is not, it want just to have a map, compass (haha, I had that first time I went there), guidebook (not visible then it will be left in the hands of most false guides), and go. And discover for yourself. Getting off also concerns over whether this or the other guide is cheaper.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 65
17. Re: Medina tours

I was not trying to suggest that there is anything dangerous about the Medina, it is more a confidence issue really and you have to agree that not everyone is the same - some tourists are out of their usual comfort zone in Morocco as they have never visited a developing country before.

Just look at some of the reviews of the Medina and Jma El Fna on here, some people have a bad experience as they just cant handle it - it is a shame that they leave Marrakech with a negative vibe and it is exactly that type of person who may well benefit from having a guide.

Edited: 8:33 pm, September 08, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
18. Re: Medina tours

Maybe you're right, but most I reacted to your expression that can do more afraid those who are already a little worried.

London, United...
reviews: 54
19. Re: Medina tours

A guide??? What on Earth for? Dont waste the money! Use the Koutoubia or the main square as your base (something you can find again if you get a bit worried and lost) then just go for a wander, and as previously mentioned, you can always ask shop keepers for directions if you get lost, they wont charge you for pointing you in the right direction. Everything is pretty close together and not nearly as daunting as you might think!

Also The TA map app works offline, and is *mostly* accurate. There are great maps in the rough guides book, and the one I like (As it shows bars and restaurants on it too) is the HG2...Marrakech. (Hedonists Guide to) The maps in there are spot on!

Ive never understood why people say you can get lost if you head deep into the souks, I have tried believe me, you cant get lost, you always end up back in the square!

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 1
20. Re: Medina tours

Nibrika's rates it correct don't go far than that price so that could be a rip off, you can just find your way in Marrakech very easy as the sites are close to each other sometimes in one of the attractions you just find other groups then listen to what can be said by other guides, to add to your memory than what already knows from the books and internet, Marrakech is not like Fes, in Fes you might need a Guide which is required.

However; in Marrakech don't pay more than 50 Euros/per full day, sometimes they include the entrees fees which makes it a bit higher than the simple price which is only for their salary of the day.

but if there is any guide mentioned more than 50 Euros, so he can be charged you the price of car included to somehwere, or the Majourelle, just ask why is that, as the official standard price for the guide is 400 Dirhams per day, and 200 Dirhams for half day.