We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medina tours

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 3
Medina tours

I am having some difficulty finding a guide for a medina tour when i get to Marrakech. I'm emailing round but not getting many replies.

I've received a quote from one company (comes highly recommended on TA) at 80 euros for half a day which seems pretty extortionate, is this a typical price for a half day tour?

1. Re: Medina tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:10 am, October 29, 2013
2. Re: Medina tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:10 am, October 29, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
3. Re: Medina tours

Hi,

Your hotel or Riad will be able to organise a guide if you feel you need one (though it's not really neccessary in my opinion). Typical price should be a maximum of 350 Dirhams for a full day.

Casablanca
4. Re: Medina tours

You don't need a guide in Marrakech Medina at all, you have a guide book to read about every site, and all the sites are close to each, so no need to even riad's help in this case, enjoy your trip by your own experience.

I agree with the ones need the guide for Fes because Fes is the biggest medina in Morocco, and it's really like a spider nesstle no first-timer could alone and not to be lost.

Dixon
reviews: 18
5. Re: Medina tours

On your first trip to Marrakech a little help might be needed in the medina. The sights, sounds, smells and colors can be overwhelming at first, but in a good way. How long will you be staying? I love to get totally lost and just wander around on my first day, checking out the prices at the souk but not making any major purchases until my last day. I agree with Shimmin, getting help from your hotel or riad would be better than paying for a tour in advance. Same with visting the tourist sites. All within walking distance but you will be exhausted at the end of each day. And eager to experience another day in Morocco the next morning!!

norfolk
reviews: 30
6. Re: Medina tours

i spoke to some people who had taken a guided tour. they came back full of it - and shared all the lovely information they had been given. word for word, it was all in the guide book i had paid less than £5 for in w.h. smith.

getting lost in the souk is said to be part of the experience. well, then i missed out. it really isn't hard to navigate. we only missed our way once in ten days, due to one of us having the map up-side-down...

you might like to read my report of that trip

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k5…

pam

madison wisconsin
reviews: 2
7. Re: Medina tours

We were in Marrakesh last week. I think it would be worthwhile to get a guide, and a good idea to ask your riad to arrange it for you. We had a guide for part of a day in the medinas of both Fez and Marrakesh and I think we saw more things than we would have on our own. We still managed to get lost the second day in Marrakesh.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
8. Re: Medina tours

Fariha78, as you contacted the company through links on TripAdvisor, I would be grateful if you would please name the company that quoted €80.

Edited: 2:16 pm, April 03, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 3
9. Re: Medina tours

Thanks everyone for your advice, think I will have a wander around alone initially and see how I feel.

This is the company I got my quote from, but they actually have decent reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Edited: 2:48 pm, April 03, 2013
Casablanca
10. Re: Medina tours

I'd Take Tim's advice, 80Euros is not the right price for the Local Guide, the guide is only 400 Dirhams for a full day and 200 Dirhams for a half Day Visit, this is the normal tarif and if there is any extra it should include the car too, otherwise it's scam.

By the way; there is helpful recommendation here in the forums as you can just check the links of Tour companies and guide on the right side of your screen.

good luck and enjoy Morocco.