We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lyon, France
reviews: 4
Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

Hi there, I will be travelling to Marrakesh this coming May and would like to do one of the desert treks, preferably one where you go for two days and one night. I will be travelling with my father and brother. What I was wondering is if I have to travel to Zagora first in order to do one of these excursions or if I can do one that leaves right from Marrakesh? I`ve been reading other forums on the topic and looking up websites and am getting am also getting mixed answers about the time spent in a vehicle. If we are able to leave from Marrakesh how long will we have to spend in a vehicle? What are the best sites or companies to book with with guides who can at least speak a bit of english?

Thanks ahead of time for any help provided!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
1. Re: Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

Two days and one night is nowhere near long enough. Think in terms of four days.

Casablanca
2. Re: Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

True and to Zagora that's not even a real desert, don't recommend that, do in 4 days for the Erg Chebbi to Merzouga or better not as you can just keep your time for Marrakech and surrounding areas.

Gainesville, Florida
3. Re: Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

My husband and I are considering a trip to marrakesh july 12 with a guided 3day/2 night trip to merzouga/dades and togra gorges and berber tent experience and then 4 days in marrakesh. Is this a bad time to come do this trip with the hot weather and ramadan? Would it be so hot we wouldn't enjoy ourselves?

Appreciate your advice!

marrakech
reviews: 1
4. Re: Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

Conducting a trip down to the desert in July is highly unrecommended as the weather is boiling and also it coincides with Ramadan in which all Muslim Moroccans fast during the day; you can imagine how lazy people become due to long hours of fasting in a very hot weather. I would, instead, recommend making it to Essaouira where the possibility of saddling up the camel is available in a very cool weather.

Wellington, New...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

We have just returned from 20 days in Morocco and honestly, I would highly recommend that you email the company we travelled with, they will respond immediately and give you all the guidance you need - just check out their Trip Advisor reviews and you will see what I mean. Morocco Expert Tours.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
6. Re: Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

Both Ergs - Chigaga and Chebbi - are far from Marrakech and you need to have at least 4 days for to do such trip. To Erg Chigaga it is not enough to go only to Zagora and believe you are in the desert. You are but not properly and you need additional 2-3 hours to come to sand dunes.

I am agree with that during Ramadan it is not so suitable to go into the desert. However I am not agree with that the people are lazy, because they are not ! and would go with you to sand dunes, if you wish to do it.

But think that they eat in the night so they not sleep properly neither. And during the day they cannot eat and drink so they are tired of course. Everyone would be tired.

Edited: 4:41 am, May 23, 2013
Fordwich
7. Re: Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

Capricorn, May is a great time to be in Morocco. Two days and one night to trek makes for a very hurried trip, but can be done, of course. No time to know much about the area. We prefer the Erg Chebbi area over Zagora.

Ramadan is a tough time to visit the desert. Rightly so, folks are far more lethargic during the heat and lack of food and drink during daylight hours. We will be in Morocco, the latter part of Ramadan, but sticking to the Atlantic coast for a few days before swinging east.

8. Re: Marrakech Camping/Camel Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 25, 2014