We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary Please

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Antibes
reviews: 2
Help with Itinerary Please

Hi,

I am arriving in Marrakech early May. I have up to about 8 nights and don't have a particular city/airport to fly out of yet.

During my time in Morocco I wish to explore Marrakech, maybe visit the Atlas Mountains (is this highly rated to see as I'm a photographer), can you get there by public transport or is it best to arrange a tour as I'm a solo traveller it maybe expensive. Also is there a good local place for a day hike?

I would also like to spend a night in Essouria. And then I am maybe thinking of heading North, is it worth stopping in Rabat for a night? or are there better places along the way? Then I havent heard great things about Casablanca so I would probably go straight through to Fes for a couple nights then fly out of there. Also is transport between these places easy?

I really really appreciate anyones opinion on what is the most enjoyable experience. And if you think I am missing anything really really worth seeing please let me know!

Thank you in advance

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
1. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

I'd suggest Imlil for your Atlas 'evasion et randonée'. Take a shared grand taxi from Marrakech to Ansi, switch to a local taxi to Imlil. You should plan to stay over at least one night.

Some photos in posts #12 and 13 at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Antibes
reviews: 2
2. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

Thank you very much for your advise Tim.

I looked at your photos, it looks spectacular in the Mountains. If I were to travel the 'Shared Grand Taxi' way from Marrakech, is it normally possible to take a large suitcase with you, in your opinion?… Otherwise I'm assuming that my accommodation might beale to help with organising the day trip by tour? Another question… How long is it from Marakech to Imlil?

Thanks again :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
3. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

Suitcase should be OK. In a shared taxi you purchase a single seat. The taxi takes six passengers, four in the rear, two in the front seat. It's quite acceptable to ask to buy two seats (in which case you get all the front seat) in which case there certainly should be room for your luggage.

I'd reckon on a couple of hours to get to Imlil, what with the need to change taxis.

Hiring a private taxi will easily cost ten times or even more than using the local shared taxis.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
4. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

Tim - everyone should take inspiration from your articles on travel, especially those who wish to travel but haven't yet found the courage to go it alone.

Thurso, Scotland...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

Your itinerary sounds quite like mine, we're flying into Marrakesh on Wed night, staying there Wed, Thurs, Fri, travelling Sat morning to the mountains, staying there Saturday night, then travelling to Essaouria on Sunday morning, gonna stay there Sun, Mon, Tues & travel back to Marakesh for our flight on Wed. - I think! It's all pretty provisional at the moment, I've booked the flights but nothing else.

I read the journey from Essaouria - Marrakesh should take 3hrs on the suprabus & Tim has kindly advised it should take a couple of hours to travel from Marrakesh - Imlil, does anyone know how long I should allow from Imlil - Essaouria ?

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 291
6. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

tim has great suggestions, and his photos are great. there are some that show a place that he visited YEARS ago, (with his beautiful bride) and now..the difference is not much, in some. great photos of the water rushing to the lake...wonderful tim, you make us all want to go back and experience more.

Casablanca
7. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

From Essaouira to Marrakech 3 Hours between both, and from Marrakech to Imlil 3,5 Hours from each way, and from Imlil to Essaouira is about 5 ,5 hours, as you know Imlil more worth it, strong culture and nature.

Thurso, Scotland...
8. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

Thanks for your reply, 5.5 hrs is a lot of travelling in one go & I don't really want to spend a whole day out of my 7 day holiday travelling.

From what I've read on here, to travel from Imlil to Essaouira, I'd need to go back to Marrakesh anyway, so I'm thinking I might just do it as a day trip instead of an overnight stay. Then I can head back to Marrakesh & leave for Essaouira the next day, or even that evening depending on when we get back (I'm planning the suprabus).

Can anyone advise would I be better doing Imlil as a day trip from Marrakesh or Essaouira?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
9. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

Hi,

You can visit Essaouira as a day trip but are looking at 2 and a half hours at least in a car or bus each way so will only have a short time in a lovely coastal town, overnight is better. I'd suggest Imlil as the day trip if these are your two choices (though I personally prefer Ouirgane).

Thurso, Scotland...
10. Re: Help with Itinerary Please

I'm definetly going to spend a few days in Marrakesh & a few in Essaouira too.

It's the trip to Imlil I want to do in a day.

Should I go to Imlil from Marrakesh or Essaouira ?

Thanks