We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate spending money??

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 44
Appropriate spending money??

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are going to Marrakech in Sept 2013 for two weeks. We have booked a 4* all inclusive hotel so some of our meals etc will be provided, however we will want to experience Marrakech outside of the hotel and are not sure how much spending money to bring each?

We want to be able to have meals out (probably 7 out of the 14 nights in total - maybe more if we find somewhere we really like), visit the Souks, visit the Atlas mountains and go on a camel ride along with anything else we might come across whilst there.

How much spending money should we each bring? We will share our money anyway but we both want to save the same amount?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
1. Re: Appropriate spending money??

Can't help with your guestimate, but you shouldn't bring all your holiday money in cash, use ATMs instead, check out the 'banks and money' section under 'top questions'.

2. Re: Appropriate spending money??

Thank you :)

El Jadida, Morocco
reviews: 421
3. Re: Appropriate spending money??

No one can say how much you can bring as we don't know how much you have!

You can eat out for as little as 10 dirhams (shawarma panini in a popular snack bar), a quarter roast chicken, chips and salad for 20 to 25 dirhams at a rotisserie, 30 to 50 dirhams for a huge platter of fried fish (with chips and bread) enough for 2 people. Eat in the Square for peanuts, fresh, nourishing, safe food.

Or you can go to a posh restaurant and eat for a lot of money (UK prices).

Also, I guess you'd want to buy some souvenirs and how much you want to spend is entirely a matter for you!

4. Re: Appropriate spending money??

Thanks for the help. We haven't started saving yet so in regards to money I just meant the average (UK pound-wise) that people would take with them :)

All that food sounds amazing though! Ill bring a whole load of money just for that! Haha

5. Re: Appropriate spending money??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:14 am, October 29, 2013
Dixon
reviews: 17
6. Re: Appropriate spending money??

My daughter and I budgeted very carefully 2 years ago, but the price from travelling from one place to another cost us way too much money. For example--a taxi ride to a remote area was reasonable but the ride back was 6 times as much, same number of people. Food is better at small eateries, riads are better than the big hotels. I spent nearly 40% more than I planned for. My daughter maxed out her credit card in the first week.

manchester uk
reviews: 22
7. Re: Appropriate spending money??

We found it very cheap. Took £400 for 5 days came back with £250!

We ate all day long.....usually street food from little stalls along the souks and alleyways. Also had some great food from the small eateries along the edge of the square and from the stalls at night. Didn't go to any posh places!

Did a trip to majorelle and ourika too.

Tamworth, United...
reviews: 46
8. Re: Appropriate spending money??

We go in 4 weeks and are still deciding.

Im going to take a few hundred in cash and then use the ATMs as suggested. Im only going for 5 days and will budget £100 a day but i do intend to buy a nice quality lantern and im not sure how much they are, ive looked at the prices in UK for a lantern but i want the real thing, at least by knowing UK price i shouldn't get ripped off.

9. Re: Appropriate spending money??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:14 am, October 29, 2013
norfolk
reviews: 30
10. Re: Appropriate spending money??

many insurers do indeed cover 'a few hundred quid'. there is usually an excess on the policy, but it is possible to waive this for a fee. money in your in-room safety deposit box should also be covered. if it is not, then you may have the wrong insurer. for some people, it is necessary to weigh in the balance the possibility of being robbed of their spending money against the almost certainty of their banks robbing them on the exchange charges.

and yes, i know there are cards which do not charge fees. but try getting one! [without moving your bank account, damaging your credit rating and jumping through hoops.]

a realistic budget for eating in local cafes and market stalls [as opposed to up-market restaurants with alcohol] is 150 dirham per day for a couple. but sadly, if you are staying out of town, you will likely spend 3 times that on taxis. unless you fathom out the local bus.