We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating alone in Marrakech?!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 3
Eating alone in Marrakech?!

Hello,

I am travelling alone to Marrakech in two weeks time - spending 4 nights there. I'm a bit nervous about eating out alone, I will probably only do this at lunchtimes and have dinner in the riad, as I don't want to be out too late! Does anyone have any recommendations for a place where I wouldn't look too out of place. My budget is fairly flexible.

Many thanks,

Fariha

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

Hi,

There are loads of places you can eat alone. Have a look at reviews for Cafe Arabe, La Maison Arabe, Villa Flore, Cafe Bougainvillea, Les Terraces des Epices, Mechoui alley, The fish shop cafe, Cafe 16, Rotisserie de la Paye, Cafe des Epices, Aqua...honestly I could go on and on but you get the picture? Have a look through the restaurants listed in the tab at the top of the page as well. Your Riad owner will also be able to point you to local eateries.

Edited: 8:14 pm, March 29, 2013
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
2. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

You must try meshewi alley at least once. It's a lunchtime only group of eateries towards the northern edge of Djemma el Fna. Maybe someone can give better directions?

Meshewi is slow roast lamb and the underground ovens hold half a dozen or more whole lambs that are fished out on hooks when chunks of meat at needed. The cost is about 150dh/kilo, but of course most people only need 250g or maybe 300g of meat, so think in terms of 40-45dh. Ask to eat on the spot, then you will be next to the hole in the floor which is the entrance to the oven.

Casablanca
3. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

there is a Plnety of restaurants to experience, in addition to the lists above i'd suggest also Al Fassia a restaurant run by women, Le Tobsil, Shahraman, Tanjia and La Sulatana, with the Typical food in Jemaa el Fna Meshwi is a favourite one Tim.

Casablanca
4. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

Here is a list of restuarants to check after reading the reviews, make your decision according to your travel interests : tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g293734-Marrakec…

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 66
5. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

I would not recommend some of the places mentioned here for a solo meal, personally I would head to the cheaper snack restaurants where many people eat alone so you wouldnt feel out of place there.

In the Medina head for Snack Toubkal or the night food stalls at night.

In Gueliz there are areas just off the main Avenue Mohammed V with several cheaper spots - head down Rue Mauritanie or the Bejgenni area around Rue Ibn Aicha.

Edited: 9:39 pm, March 29, 2013
6. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, March 30, 2013
Edited: 6:05 am, March 30, 2013
Taroudannt...
reviews: 3
7. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

Fariha78, I suggest that you solve your problem by finding someone to share a meal with. If you are accompanied, you are unlikely to attract unwanted attention.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
8. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

Fariha78, which district is your riad located in? We might be able to suggest some nearby cafe/restaurants/snackbars for you.

England, United...
9. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

I am a single female traveller and my pet hate anywhere is eating alone. However, I have had to make myself do this because otherwise I know I miss out on so much - good food, people watching, even meeting new people.

I reviewed a few restaurants/cafes when I returned back from Marrakech and Essaouria in October last year and I re-visited most of the Marrakech ones on my recent visit. (See my profile for reviews). I've not reviewed it but I would also suggest Cafe Yamy on Djemaa el Fna too.

Not sure how I've missed out on 'meshewi alley' - I love lamb! I'll just have to visit again and indulge!

Go and enjoy and don't let being alone spoil your eating out experience.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
10. Re: Eating alone in Marrakech?!

A shot of the meshewi oven in the floor: morocco-knowledgebase.net/tim/meshewi_oven.j…

And of the meal: morocco-knowledgebase.net/tim/meshewi_lamb.j…