We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beldi Rugs

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
reviews: 16
Beldi Rugs

I'm off to Marrakech in a few days time and would like to buy Beldi rugs. I'm aware of 'La source de tapis' but wondered if anyone knows if that's the best place to get them or if there is anywhere else that might sell and ship Beldi Rugs to the UK. Thanks.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Beldi Rugs

It depends on what you mean by beldi. The word means original and does not necessarily indicate origin or provenance, let alone authenticity. I would start your search by seeing what is on offer in the many many carpet "emporiums" or bazaars. The larger ones will definately arrange shipping. Or if you have the time you could arrange a trip to a few of the High Atlas villages where many of these items are made. Prepare yourself for some hard bargaining. Buying in quantity will always result in a discount.

Northern Ireland
reviews: 16
2. Re: Beldi Rugs

Dear Pilobolus

Thanks for that. I think I mean Boucherouite or Boujad rugs. Does that make more sense than Beldi? I'm looking for unique, handmade rugs to stock in our online store, so I'm looking to buy in quantity from someone in Morocco who will ship to the uk. The rugs I've found on http://beldirugs.com/ are the kind of thing I'm looking for. If you know roughly how much I can expect to pay for them that would be useful. Thank you.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
3. Re: Beldi Rugs

The company whose link you have provided (thanks!) are using the word beldi in a generic sense for the purposes of marketing. There are a couple of misleading statements in their advertising spiel. Firstly the rugs can be made from wool other than sheep and sometimes other materials can be incorporated. Secondly although these products can be produced by individual village ladies it is more common nowadays that womens' cooperatives (village cooperatives) help each other with the weaving and embellishments of the products. Thirdly (did I just write "a couple?") these are traditional rugs amongst the mountain Berber peoples and designs vary from village to village and individual to individual in the three Atlas ranges, not just the Middle Atlas. They are beautifully crafted pieces and well worth seeking out. As well as the villages near to the High Atlas outside of Marrakech you may also wish to visit Meknes to the north of Morocco as designs there offer another choice. Buying directly from the producers (and Marrakech acts as a vast clearing house for Moroccan products) rather than from a middleman makes more financial sense.

Involving yourself with a local community will give you an input to quality control and be able to discuss sizes, designs, colours and so on. If you intend to import in quantity then you might consider making a couple or more contacts in the country. As to price, sorry, I have no idea never having purchased one!

Edited: 10:04 am, March 27, 2013
4. Re: Beldi Rugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 29, 2014