We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report!!! Marrakesh, Essaouira amazing

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Trip report!!! Marrakesh, Essaouira amazing

I was in Morocco in January. I kept asking questions on this forum, before leaving to Morocco and everyone was just super helpful, so I kind of owe this report, I hope it helps future travelers! Ask me questions, in case i can help with advise.

I was in Morocco in January, was expecting warmer weather but it was actually rather cold, I was wearing boots and coat, so keep this in mind. Even though my hotel had a pool, it was not possible to use it, because of the cold weather. During the day there might be some sun, so lying around the pool was quite great.

I stayed at Atlas Asni hotel. The hotel was fine, nothing special, I would even say average, the room was clean, sheets were clean as well, if you took too long of a shower, the whole floor would be in water. The hotel staff not that helpful, the phone in my room was not working and they never fixed it for me. The hotel reception would have money exchange, there was spa in the hotel, I checked it out, and it didn't look that great, so never used. The breakfast was nothing special, the good thing was mint tea and fresh orange juice. I will talk about this more!!!

The garden around the hotel was very very nice, actually it is connected to another Asni hote, and I had dinners in that hotel restaurant, woudl recommend, very good food, though might be expensive for Morocco.

Then! I went to Jemma El Fna of course and loved it, would go there again if I ever get a change, I was kind of nervous before going there, because of all the comments and reviews I saw here, but no it was amazing!!! An open air show, spectacle, that you can;t miss. The orange juice I got there, was piece of heaven. I looked around and walked around, didn't get hassled that much, woudl just leave if I was not going to buy anything. Then, there are souks near to the Jemma El Fna, which sell everything, spices, leather, souvenirs, jewelry, and much more. I shopped there a bit, though you might want to keep going further for better prices and ALWAYS negotiate the price, I think in the end you still much more then the price, but if you like what you buy for the price you bought it, I think it is super!!! So I got 2 purses, some jewelry olive soap.

But if you will be travelling to Essaouira, I suggest shopping there, no hassle and much better prices!!! I got Moroccan beautiful dishes and plates from there, that I had hard time carrying back, but it was worth it!!!

I also have hair issues and bought oils for hair as well as ghassoul, though I still don't know how to use it! Spices of course! And argan soap, as well as henna.

Food is very very very good in Morocco, whatever looks and smells good, can be tried! Olives are very good, best oranges ever. If you like sea food, the place is for you.

For Essaouira I took the bus there, was quite a pleasant ride and the city was amazing, near the sea and just a nice place to walk around, super for shopping.

All in all, I loved Morocco and hope to be back one day. I can't figure out how to post photos, but wanted to include some.

1. Re: Trip report!!! Marrakesh, Essaouira amazing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:27 am, October 29, 2013
Level Contributor
884 posts
2. Re: Trip report!!! Marrakesh, Essaouira amazing

Thank you for taking time to post this wonderful detailed report, as we always encourage travellers to post their detailed trip reports like yours.

again welcome to Morocco.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
331 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Trip report!!! Marrakesh, Essaouira amazing

Hi Diana. I'm starting my research for a family trip end of December into January...maybe 12 to 14 days. How long did you spend in each city? Did you feel you had enough time? If you could add a third location for that time of year where would it be? Thanks, appreciate your trip report!!

Level Contributor
884 posts
4. Re: Trip report!!! Marrakesh, Essaouira amazing

Hi 62travelhappy;

Welcome to Morocco Travel forum.

so for 12-14 days is really enough time to cover several places in Morocco, including the very interesting places Fes and Marrakech and between in the desert as well, just try to arrange it starting from Casablanca or From Fes then end Marrakec so you can have enough time, with some day trips to Essaouira and the high Atlas Mountains.

Just to let you know during the period of your visit " December" is the high season in Morocco.

Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Trip report!!! Marrakesh, Essaouira amazing

Glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for reporting on it to help others. Did you find the leather coat?

Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
9,253 posts
367 reviews
6. Re: Trip report!!! Marrakesh, Essaouira amazing

great report..for our first trip and not the last..we were in morocco for 12 nights. i think, after reading the forums.we got a feel for morocco and made us want to go back.

7. Re: Trip report!!! Marrakesh, Essaouira amazing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 27, 2014