We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 11
Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

Hello everyone,

Currently in Marrakech & enjoying every bits.

Thanks for the advice so far that we manage to avoid the tannery.

Yes, the classic happened to us 'ben youssef is closed, tannery have special promotions - last day' :)

Need a quick reply, at first we plan to use hotel hammam because of convenient,

But having tour of the hammam, it is quite modern. Unlike the ones we've read about.

Now, only 2 1/2 days left before leaving. Tomorrow: Full day cooking in atlas mountain & tour,

Sunday leaving at 4pm.

Not enough time to search for the mittens etc.

Question is, for local hammam, can we just go without the kit?

Plus, do we need reservation ?

Do we need to bargain as well?

Thanks a lot..

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

Hi,

You don't need to book and really only need to take a rough glove, black olive soap, shampoo, a change of underwear and a towel. You'll find the soap and gloves at many kiosks so shouldn't have to search for long. Some hammams sell these things but better to buy them beforehand just in case the one you go to does not. You don't need to bargain but some hammam workers (especially the male ones) ask for a large tip after you have finished. Leave all your jewellery etc at the hotel and only take at the most 100 Dirhams in cash in small notes with you.

Edited: 8:01 pm, March 22, 2013
Kuala Lumpur...
2. Re: Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

Thanks shimmin,

Good to know the kit is easy to find.

We are traveling with kids 8yrs & 3yrs. Want to avoid 'backpackers' sort of hammam.

Worried if kids might not want to stay till end.

Thinking of going to local hammam used by working middle class people in marrakech range (budget 30-40 p.p - is it too cheap?)

Don't mind if not in medina as long as easy to get taxi & not too far so taxi rate is not too much.

Do you by any chance know any?

I used the search button & reviews but little report if kids allowed in this kind of local hammam.

Plus, will they open at night?

Tqvm

Thanks

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
3. Re: Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

Hi,

The hammam on Avenue Fatima Zohra near Dar el Bacha is one of the biggest and oldest. Men go mornings until 12md then again after 19.00 to 23.00, women go on the afternoons and yes kids are allowed (boys under 5 can go with the women otherwise with Dad). Your budget is fine.

Kuala Lumpur...
4. Re: Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

Tqvm :)

5. Re: Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:37 pm, July 27, 2013
Edited: 2:37 pm, July 27, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
6. Re: Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

Totally wrong. out of date and self advertising. Another sad example of touting.

Paris, France
reviews: 63
7. Re: Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

some info about hammam experiences in morocco

http://moroccotravel101.blogspot.ca/

8. Re: Can I go to local hammam without the 'hammam kit'?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 29, 2014