We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech for disabled travellers.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Henley-on-Thames...
reviews: 12
Marrakech for disabled travellers.

I'm hoping to travel to Marrakech with my mum in June. She is 81 and whilst not a wheelchair user has quite limited mobility. My worry is that the medina combined with the heat and cobbles will be too much for her so was wondering if anyone could recommend a man with a rickshaw or such like who might be able to taxi us around. Ideally we would book him for two or three days. How much should I expect to pay for this, and are there any alternatives that anyone might recommend? Many thanks and all suggestins much appreicated.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
1. Re: Marrakech for disabled travellers.

Hi,

A wheel chair could be the answer while in the medina. You can either hire one here or bring one with you. Sadly we don't have rickshaws; what a great idea for someone to set up a business! Have a look at these previous posts especially answer number 1;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k447…

My old Ma (84 and counting) has been coming here for the last 12 years and has had a knee replacement during that time. She now uses a stick (more for reassurance I believe) but still goes walkabout by herself in the medina and manages to drag herself up to my terrace to lie in the shade on sunny days in January. When/if the wheelchair becomes needed I would have no worries at all about wheeling her about Marrakech.

Henley-on-Thames...
2. Re: Marrakech for disabled travellers.

Thank you for your reply, and what a pity there are no rickshaws available, or carts of motorised scooters. I'll broach the subject of a wheelchair with her gently but I think it is a matter of mindset rather than practicalities. Do you think it might be possible for us to get out of the city - is there somewhere nearby we could visit, eg, mountains where she could enjoy the scenery and engage in touristy camel riding etc. Last time we went horseriding but I don't think we'll be doing that this time!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
3. Re: Marrakech for disabled travellers.

Hi,

I understand about the wheelchair situation very well! Ouirgane and the Plateau de Kik is a lovely day out from Marrakech and they do have camels. It is less touristy than Ourika valley these days and the scenery is stunning.

Henley-on-Thames...
4. Re: Marrakech for disabled travellers.

Super, thank you so much for you help. I'll check out the locations you recommend.

Henley-on-Thames...
5. Re: Marrakech for disabled travellers.

Hello again,

I am now getting close to booking and was hoping that someone might be able to recommend a reasonably priced riad close to the centre with a lift to the rooms and also the roof terrace, and a pool if possible? Also, a recommendation for motorised wheelchair hire would be very gratefully received.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
6. Re: Marrakech for disabled travellers.

I don't know of any riads that have a lift. You may have to look for a riad that has ground floor rooms and is near to the road.

One riad that springs to mind is Riad Dar Sbihi.

Another option is Riad Linda - this riad has a ground floor room with a shower (rather than a shower over bath tub), but it is a walk from Jemaa El Fna and the road.

If you want a lift to the roof terrace you may prefer to stay in hotel Les Jardins de la Koutoubia. It is one street away from Jemaa El Fna and is built in riad-style.

Henley-on-Thames...
7. Re: Marrakech for disabled travellers.

Thank you for this - Hotel Les Jardins de la Koutobia looks reallygreat but may be a bit too pricy for me as I'm taking a few people along to help. Will have a look at Rriad Linda just now.

8. Re: Marrakech for disabled travellers.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:11 am, April 29, 2013
9. Re: Marrakech for disabled travellers.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 29, 2014