We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shorts?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dorset uk
reviews: 44
shorts?

My wife and I are going on a coach tour of Morocco in a couple of weeks, a daft question but what about wearing shorts, are there any recommendations or restrictions other than in Mosques.

Marrakech, Morocco
1. Re: shorts?

With the exception of the Hassan II mosque in Casablanca, non-muslims are not allowed to enter mosques in Morocco. Regarding shorts, I'd keep them as long and close to the knees as possible, especially for your wife. I don't know in what hotel you're staying, but If you're thinking of going to one of the better luxury hotels in Marrakech for a drink or a meal, you should avoid wearing shorts as they may not let you in.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: shorts?

See here for opinions and guidance!

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k3658…

dorset uk
3. Re: shorts?

Thankyou for the prompt replies and links, no luxury hotels (I wish!).

Taroudannt...
reviews: 2
4. Re: shorts?

If you are coming near the end of March, you don't need shorts at all. Err on the safe side and wear long pants, or in the case of your wife, she can wear longish dresses or skirts. The weather will not be hot no matter where you go.

Don't attempt to enter any mosques, with the exception of the Hassan II in Casa.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
5. Re: shorts?

Hi,

No-one can say what the weather "will" be like so pack for anything. In Marrakech last week we had 27 degrees C and believe me folk were out in long shorts and t-shirts already.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
6. Re: shorts?

Exactly, and last year at the beginning of April I had five friends staying for five days and it rained everyday. Temperatures hardly reached 20 degrees. The point of this story is adopt the motto of the boy scouts and "be prepared"! I hope that it stays lovely for you though!

dorset uk
7. Re: shorts?

Thankyou all for your replies, I guess we will have to go prepared for all weathers.

Hampshire UK
reviews: 50
8. Re: shorts?

My son is an Arabist and tells me that basically, in somewhere like Egypt, they regard men in shorts as walking around in underpants! I have not got round to asking him what the "official" view is of shorts. It seems odd to me to see Egyptians, and presumably Moroccans, walking round in jeans in 30+ degree heat.

9. Re: shorts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:43 pm, March 24, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
10. Re: shorts?

The 'underwear' thing is quite an old view. Yes, T-shirts and shorts were once considered underwear by the remote tribes, but things change. I wore shorts when trekking in remote areas ten years ago and even then nobody raised an eyebrow.

The other Moroccan mosque that 'Nazarenes' (Christians) can enter is at Tinmal near Ijoukak on the road between Marrakech and the Test pass.