We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local tax - is this true?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 31
Local tax - is this true?

I am staying at a riad, already paid for via uk website, and now that i am here i was told there is a local tax per night of 2.2 eur - is this true?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
1. Re: Local tax - is this true?

Hi,

There is indeed a government imposed tourist tax. The amount depends on the rating of the hotel or Riad. You should have been told about it when you made the booking.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 7
2. Re: Local tax - is this true?

The only problem with this tax which is supposed to help the local economy and promote tourism does not always end up where it should. In my opinion it should be included in the room rate and spare the client unnecessay confusion

London, United...
reviews: 19
3. Re: Local tax - is this true?

I agree , you should have been advised before , but often when guests book via a web site they don't have any contact with the Riad itself and contact details are not passed on, so the Riad / hotel cannot contact the client to advise them of the tax . There are two taxes , tourist and city , and it is per person , per night . Many Riads do not charge these taxes because they are operating illegally and with out authorisation , so at least it proves the Riad your staying in is legal and declaring tax .

4. Re: Local tax - is this true?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 16, 2014