We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shared private desert tour - why is it so difficult to find?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 25
Shared private desert tour - why is it so difficult to find?

Hello guys, it's my first time posting on the TA forum. I've been searching for a 5D4N, or 4D3N trip to the desert from Marrakech. The research can get rather overwhelming as there are so many tour operators, and it seems like most are offering private tours.

After sifting through countless TA reviews (and identifying which ones have their rankings artificially inflated from fake reviewers), I've manage to get a couple of quotations from established and well-reviewed operators. It seems like the average cost of a private tour is around 500Eur per person (group of 2, total 1000Eur for 2 pax) for 5D4N, with decent accommodation (60Eur/ night accom). I find that rather steep so am looking to find some others to share the cost.

I've been struggling to find an operator that offers shared private tours with others. I'm not looking to travel in a big group crammed in a minivan. However, it will be nice to be able to find another couple (or max travel as a group of 6) to defray the cost. So far, I've manage to find Desert Majesty that can help me organise a trip with another couple but I wasn't able to work around the dates and departure city.

If anyone's able to point me to the right direction, please let me know.

Also, if you happen to be looking at doing a 4 or 5 days desert trip departing from and returning to Marrakech from 28-03-13 to 31-03-13 (or even 01-04-13), and want to save a bit by travelling together with my husband and myself, please send me a message and we'll try to work something out. We are in our early 30s and come from Singapore (currently living in London). The operator I've inquired has quoted 400EUR per pax if we are to travel as a group of 4, with comfortable and clean hotels/ riads (not the budget sort).

Watford,UK
reviews: 108
1. Re: Shared private desert tour - why is it so difficult to find?

I think that you are asking a perfectly reasonable question and I wish you luck with it.

The prices you quote are similar to what I found . In the end we booked for the top end of the scale for a bit more than this, travelling later in the month than yourselves.

I reasoned that yes, it is not cheap but it is a once in a lifetime experience ( Ok , it is my second time, but first time with my husband and first time taking the luxury option ) .

Our riad and hotel prices are similar overall to what we would pay in France or Italy . Taxis and guides are also similar. I think that because it is such a popular area for tourism , market forces will apply .

One suggestion : if you are staying in a riad in Marrakech at the start , it may be worth letting the owner know that you are looking for guests to share a trip. Maybe they could put you in contact with another couple ?

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: Shared private desert tour - why is it so difficult to find?

UnaW's last suggestion is an excellent one. Even if your riad does not have guests wishing to do the same excursion then there is a system of networking amongst riad owners which could result in you finding travelling companions to share costs.

Edited: 1:52 pm, March 14, 2013
Pitlochry...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Shared private desert tour - why is it so difficult to find?

Hi,

I was recently in touch with this company http://www.your-morocco-tour.com/ and I think they post your tour details on their site so others can join if they want to. They offered to do something like that for me. I don't know how the prices compare/ if the trip duration is what you're after but I think they customise it anyway. And they were very helpful by email, that much I can vouch for :)

Good luck.

London, United...
reviews: 25
4. Re: Shared private desert tour - why is it so difficult to find?

Thank you TA-ers for all the advice! I've decided to heed UnaW's advice and go the 'luxury' way for a once in a lifetime trip. We booked a private tour with Roughtours and decided not to find another couple to share the cost as we'll be heading over during Easter period and it may be more difficult to secure hotel rooms in the same hotel if we require multiple rooms for the entire group as I only started inquiring about the tours a few weeks before Easter.

I will be on the tour in 5 days' time. Can't wait!

5. Re: Shared private desert tour - why is it so difficult to find?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 26, 2014