We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 27
One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

We'll be in Marrakech at the end of a trip on April 15th and we'd like to do some catch and release fly fishing for trout fishing in the Middle Atlas mountains. Anyone have experiences with guides working out of Marrakech. The purpose is to write another chapter in "Fish before your Fly."

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

For fishing in the Middle Atlas you would be better off based in Azrou, near to the Aghmas lakes, or Ifrane for example. I believe that you also need a permit for fly fishing. A local guide may be of more help; I know of none in Marrakech itself where guides are much more familiar with the High Atlas. Welcome to the Marrakech forum loghouseJD.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
2. Re: One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

There's a pisciculture centre near Ras el Mar which is to the north east of Azrou, however there is ABSOLUTELY no way you can even consider this as a day trip. It's a full day each way of hard driving, plus the day you'd need for fishing.

Denver, Colorado
3. Re: One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

Unfortunately I can't chose a base in Azrou or Ifrane. We're on an OAT 14 day guided trip. The previous day, April 14th, we'll be in Ouarzazate for the evening hatch. I've been trying to find a guide, a river, or someone that wants to learn a bit about fly fishing and knows where there are trout (or left over salmon from the filming of "Salmon Fishing in Yemen").

Denver, Colorado
4. Re: One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

We're in Fes Apr 4th and 5th but would only have time for an evening hatch excursion there also. It would be great to have a contact in the country that might suggest where to toss a fly for a couple hours. I realize a permit is required but I don't know if it is Morocco wide permit or a local permit.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
5. Re: One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

You've lost me, I have no idea what an evening hatch is.

Denver, Colorado
6. Re: One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

Tim,

An evening hatch is when the aquatic insects (mayflies, caddis flies) hatch from a nymph stage to an adult stage and fly off the water. Trout are very active during this period. It just happens to be the time of day when I can get off the tour bus and have some fun on a river, stream, creek, or trickle.

It also looks like Ouirgane - Nfis River could be a trout fishing destination spot about an hour from Marrakech. Any contacts?

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
7. Re: One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

Ouirgane is reachable from Marrakech as a day trip. You could try contacting the owners of an auberge there as I know that they can organise treks and horse riding. Perhaps fly fishing too?

www.aubergemomo.com

chezmomo@menara.ma

contact@aubergemomo.com

I assume that you will be bringing your own equipment? I would also guess that you would need to apply for a day permit before arrival. Such things can take a long time to organise in Morocco.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
8. Re: One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

I have a friend in Ouarzazate who runs Wilderness Wheels and he took Ewan out for a couple of days motorbike riding after filming finished for 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen'. It took ages for the film to reach the wide screens, and any fish in the Ouarzazate area are now long gone.

9. Re: One day fly fishing/ trout excursion from Marrakech ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 13, 2014