We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
reviews: 26
Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

Please recommend the best book you have read about morocco/culture/food/history.Thanks!

Thornton Cleveleys...
reviews: 22
11. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

Has anyone read "The Last Storytellers" by Richard Hamilton or "Allah's Garden: A True Story of a Forgotten War in the Sahara Desert of Morocco"

by Thomas Hollowell?

I only ask because I've had them both on my Amazon wishlist for a while but haven't got round to buying them yet.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
12. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

Hi LaLico,

I've read The Last Storytellers and would recommend it.

13. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:37 pm, March 10, 2013
Pisa, Italy
reviews: 2
14. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

Such wonderful recommendations; thanks to all of you.

I am just back from my first (and oh-so-not last) trip to Morocco, and would add Edith Wharton's "In Morocco" to the list. Yes, it's dated, the language somewhat stiff ... but still so spot-on in many, many ways.

Florida
reviews: 6
15. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

FYI - You can download for free "In Morocco" from the Kindle free list.

London, United...
reviews: 43
16. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

Mine's already been mentioned - Lords of the Atlas by Gavin Maxwell - excellent book - bought a few when I found them at a discount bookshop in London and gave them to a number of Moroccan friends there and here in Morocco...one in London who was excited that it mentioned his grandfather who was a chief of a tribe in an area between Marrakech and Settat.

Another fantastic eye opening book that I bought and read a few years ago is White Gold - the extraordinary story of Thomas Pellow - there are excellent reviews on Amazon.co.uk

I read recommendations on Virtual Tourist the other day about the book Tangier: City of the Dream which Ive ordered and hence not read yet but Amazon reviews recommended it for influences on Morocco overall.

Also Edith Whartons book In Morocco is highly recommended as she travelled through Morocco in the early 20th century.

I likewise have enjoyed reading Hideous Kinky - helps you get a lot more out of the movie...

Leeds, United...
reviews: 28
17. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

I can recommend 'A Year in Marrakesh' by Peter Mayne. (originally entitled 'The Alleys of Marrakesh') It is a true account of an Englishman's life in Marrakesh in the 1950's.

I actually read it whilst I was over there, which made it come to life (even though it's set in a different period of time)

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
18. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

One more book I read, For Bread Alone of Mohamed Choukri, Berber writer. The book was a little rough but it was incredible good description of the hard life in Morocco where most of the Rif.

Luton
reviews: 6
19. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

The most beautiful book (essentially a personal diary illustrated with wonderful sketches) - Un Hiver Berbere by Karin Huet and Titouan Lamazou;

for endless trekking inspiration - Great Atlas Traverse (Vols. 1 and 2) by Michael Peyron.

Copenhagen, Denmark
20. Re: Please recommend the best book you have read about Morocco.

I'm looking for a really good photo book on Morocco. Any suggestions?