We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking water in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, United...
reviews: 7
drinking water in Marrakech

i'm taking a travel kettle with me. do you think it's safe to water that's been boiled?

11. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:34 am, October 29, 2013
Edinburgh
reviews: 12
12. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

Hi John

I am not going to quote another members advice directly, been there before,John.

The majority of threads regarding drinking tap water advise against .

I did find a number that said its fine to drink it.

(forum members who reside in the Country)

The higher mineral content could cause minor problems for some.

Others not at all.

I would use it for tea coffee etc..Brushing my teeth.

Otherwise, i would stick to bottled water.

I might add many other travel sites give this advice to visitors.

As do medical advice sites....Dont drink the tap water.

I personally dont drink it anywhere abroad (my choice)

In fact, i visit family in London frequently.

I dont drink tap water there either .o)

Regards

Mick

Edited: 6:07 am, March 05, 2013
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 291
13. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

just driink bottleded water..cheap and easy to obtain..that takes any "scare" out of the water!!! make it easy on yourself.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
14. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

I am one of the people who has advised tourists to drink bottled mineral water in previous threads due to the differences in mineral content - but I was not the author of the quote.

I still support that tourists should drink bottled mineral water rather than tap water, and that is my suggestion for any tourist in any country.

The reason that I didn't mention it on this thread is because I assumed the OP would be boiling the water to make tea or coffee. If a tourist gets tea or coffee from a cafe or restaurant they will be served boiled tap water.

The tap water is safe to drink. It's up to the individual to choose their preference.

15. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:34 am, October 29, 2013
Edinburgh
reviews: 12
16. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

We have all read on the forums ,people complain of "tummy bugs" when on holiday in another Country..

Most blame the food .I dont always subscribe to that

Unless a particular hotel or resort has had an outbreak of food poisoning!

i think the common factor is water. ice in drinks,.... and the drinks too.!..

I use tap water abroad as i stated earlier for tea coffee etc.

I would drink the tap water if i had to, but usually avoid it.

I agree about the plastic bottles.

Must be billions of them floating about the planet.

Regards

Mick

PS

I see the eye infection topic got closed (Pun intended)

Portsmouth, United...
reviews: 7
17. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

i had various vaccinations today, and asked the nurse about having drinking water that had been boiled. she said that was fine.

good, because having to constantly buy, and think about bottled water, is a bore.

many thanks for all replies

Marrakech, Morocco
18. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

It is ok for you to drink boiled water!The locals regularly drink tap water but visiting tourists will not have time to get used to it and are probably best to drink bottled water. Mineral water can be purchased from many kiosks and stalls around the Medina and chilled water is available at a small charge from the mini-bars in the rooms of the Riads the tourists choose to spend their time in Marrakech.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
19. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

I'm just back and, as always, I drank lots and lots of boiled tap water in tea/coffee etc with no problems, not just in the city but out in the countryside as well. I also always brush my teeth with tap water and happily eat any salads they may have been washed in it.

I tend to drink bottled water simply because I drink an awful lot of fluids due to my meds and I'm never in the country long enough to get my system fully attuned to the local tap water, so I just don't risk it. I have drunk the odd cup of water straight from the tap with no side-effects but everyone reacts differently to things so I wouldn't just recommend it outright.

I've never experienced any tummy problems whatsoever in Morocco and I eat and drink anything sold on the street which some people may consider "unhygienic".

I cannot stress how much value I place on a course of good probiotics though. In our society everything is sterilised, pasteurised, bleached and disinfected to the point where we are actually destroying our bodies' own natural immunity. I like Bio-Kult personally, because it provides a good variety of bacterial strains but there are lots on the market such as Optibac travel or Prebio 7. Amazon tend to do good deals on these if you sign up to the "subscribe and save option". You actually only need to take the first order and then you can cancel but it can often save a few quid.

If you have time, I suggest starting a month before travel and then upping the dose whilst you are away. Otherwise just take it whilst on your hols and it will help protect you from "traveller tummy".

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
20. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

Drinking/eating probiotic compounds is sound advice, but avoid sugared versions as they are not so effective.