We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking water in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, United...
reviews: 7
drinking water in Marrakech

i'm taking a travel kettle with me. do you think it's safe to water that's been boiled?

1. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:34 am, October 29, 2013
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
2. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

I drink it.

Casablanca
3. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

It's boiled means it's clean enough to be drinkable water.

Edinburgh
reviews: 12
4. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

I read a thread on this a while back and a regular to the forum said it was inadvisable to drink tap water in Morocco, even in hotels, as it contains much higher levels of minerals than the water in Europe.

For local people this is not a problem as their bodies are used to this and can cope.

Edited: 5:52 pm, March 04, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
5. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

Hi,

You'll be fine drinking boiled or bottled water. Many Riads have a filter tap for guests use and most do not suffer any ill effects from drinking filtered tap water.

I'd be interested to see the thread referred to in post number 4.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
6. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

Water that has been boiled will be fine to drink.

I have been told that the tap water in Morocco is perfectly safe to drink, personally I have not tried it as I would not want to risk getting a bad stomach that takes a few days out of my 7 day holiday......yes the locals drink it but I think their bodies have got use to it.

I think the water that we drink in the UK has so many chemicals put into it, it does not give our bodies a chance to develop a defence against any sort of bacteria that we may encounter elsewhere in the World.

Bottled water is very cheap in Morocco.

7. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:34 am, October 29, 2013
Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
8. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

Every time I visit Marrakech I drink water from the tap. Perhaps my constitution is strong, but never had problems.

However, if you are not sure, buy mineral water.

Edited: 1:28 am, March 05, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
9. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

If you regularly drink tap water at home (not many people do nowadays) and you suffer no harms when you drink the tap water from a town in a different area, then you will probably be fine drinking tap water in Morocco.

Morocco's ONEP (national organisation eau portable) is an award-winning enterprise that undertakes water projects for other less-developed countries in Africa.

I drink the local tap water all the time, but appreciate it's not for everyone.

If you decide to buy bottled water stick with Sidi Ali. Avoid Ciel (by Coca Cola) which is tap water with a very high chlorine content. I would also avoid Sidi Harazem which has a high mineral content said to be good for dissolving kidney stones!

Edinburgh
reviews: 12
10. Re: drinking water in Marrakech

Shim at # 5

< I'd be interested to see the thread referred to in post 4>

I found many threads/posts advising against drinking tap water .

Just use the search box above.

A number of Destination Experts to Morocco have advised against drinking tap water. Obviously mixed opinions on the water issue.

I dont suggest that the tap water in Morocco is unsafe

Regards

Mick

Edited: 4:22 am, March 05, 2013