We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes to wear,please advise!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
reviews: 26
Clothes to wear,please advise!

Hi,

Traveling to morocco in June. Please advise,I have never been to to Muslim country before...I have read numerous forums that date back to 2007 that no to shorts,no to skinny jeans ect. Is it still the case? I want to be respectful to the culture,country,but do not want to be wearing everything longs sleeves,long skirts when it is 30 C outside.

Is wearing T shirts,dresses and shorts acceptable in 2013? Thanks!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

Hi,

If you've read the posts in the clothing for female travellers...in the top questions box you will see that opinion is divided about what is acceptable or not. Make your own mind up taking all opinions you think too extreme with a pinch of salt, tread the middle ground and look at what others are wearing.

Casablanca
2. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

yes Use the search box too for more information, Dress Code in Morocco.

Yes Wearing Shorts and T-Shirts is acceptable in Morocco, just don't wear something which is touching local culture, like tops and more similar, it can just attract harrassment for you.

Rabat, Morocco
reviews: 30
3. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

Hello,

'Blending in the crowd' seems to be the key to a good experience in Morocco. So, by wearing shorts, sleeveless tops and flipflops, possibly a cap and sunglasses, we are immediatly tagged as tourists and have to suffer the unpleasant consequences. As both an expat and tourist, every effort made to dress smartly, speak a little darija and practice zakat to the blind and elderly (giving a few coins to a person in need), is highly rewarded and Marrakech sundenly becomes hassle free, and reveals its full mystery and beauty.

4. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:56 am, October 29, 2013
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
5. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

T-shirts, dresses and shorts down to the knee are fine.

Short shorts and tops that expose the breasts should be avoided.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
6. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

You can wear what you like, you will see all sorts of styles in Marrakech.

One thing is, that if you have shorts, revealing (or tight) clothes on, you will get more hassle in the Old Medina area (and the souks) of Marrakech..........in the New City area of Marrakech (Guliez), it is much more relaxed and you can get away with a more European style of dressing....

You will be recognised as a tourist whether you go, but if you are wearing the wrong type of clothes in certains area of Marrakech, you will get a lot of lewd comments, and this will ultimately spoil part of your experience.

This does not mean you have to cover up, head to toe, but just be respectful to the local traditions when you are out and about.......

Taroudannt...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

In places like Marrakech or Agadir, you can feel comfortable wearing whatever you see other tourists wearing.

It's when you come to more conservative, smaller places that it's a good idea to dress a little more modestly. No need to cover your hair, as many Moroccan girls don't. Wear some loose fitting cotton pants on a hot day instead of shorts. Cover your upper arms and don't show a cleavage.

Best to err on the side of modesty in some places, but I can tell you that I have seen some shocking examples of how NOT to dress as a tourist, where I live in conservative Taroudant, where many Moroccan women go out completely veiled in black in any weather.

Just use common sense and you will be fine, and no need to go to extremes.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 11
8. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

As a British woman living in Marrakech I can assure you that what you wear definitely has an effect on how you will be treated.

It's as simple as this - wear vest tops, short shorts, show your cleavage, you are seen as 'fair game' by men of all ages in the medina (old town) and you will most likely receive hassle. Also, many local women will look at you with disgust, especially those who are a bit older.

However, wear jeans, linen trousers, floaty tops, T shirts with short sleeves, dresses that cover knees and cleavage (maxis with shrug are good, especially for an evening out), and you will gain respect from both males and females.

In the new town of Gueliz, it doesn't really matter as it is mostly frequented by young Moroccans, most of whom wear very little themselves in my experience. In the more rural areas of course (e.g. mountain villages) it is wise to be modest in your dress sense at all times.

Many tourists don't bother now to cover up at all as you will see from some of the above comments...and, believe me, there are some hideous sights! But at the end of the day it's about being respectful to a different culture, and this is what you said you want to do. I believe that women who do cover up a little can relax and gain more from their experience here because they are less likely to be harassed all the time. It doesn't mean you have to be covered head to toe, just be considerate.

Enjoy your time in this beautiful place :)

Taroudannt...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

Giedrer, your absolutely best advice has come from MrsSchwez, and you will do well to listen to her.

Dress appropriately and then relax!

Auckland,NZ
reviews: 12
10. Re: Clothes to wear,please advise!

I saw a lot of Europeans in singlets and shorts.....burned and looking sooooo out of place. If you are interested in meeting real people and the culture, be respectful. I kept my legs and arms covered at 40º and actually found it keeps you much cooler in the dry climate!