We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM's & Prices

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pontyclun, United...
reviews: 29
ATM's & Prices

Due to visit Marrakech next week, advice on cash or cards required. Are there plenty of ATM's and are they located in tourist areas? Is is better to take cash, euros or sterling?

We are hotel based and just wondered would it be cheaper to by alcohol duty free at airport or in the hotel. Can you buy alcohol locally and what sort of prices?

Any must do's as what to see? Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
1. Re: ATM's & Prices

Look to your right... TOP QUESTIONS, then underneath BANKS AND MONEY.

Cheapest alcohol is to buy duty free in the UK, then at Marjane hypermarkets in Morocco, hotels will be most expensive.

Must dos? Look to your left... THINGS TO DO.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: ATM's & Prices

Carrefour and Acima supermarkets also sell alcohol as do several alimentations (grocers) in Gueliz. Prices in the grocers tend to be slightly more expensive that at the supermarkets but they may be more conveniently located for you.

New York,USA
3. Re: ATM's & Prices

You can find ATMs mostly in the new parts of the cities. Also in the public touristy atrractions like around the square in Marrakech or at the main gate to the old Fes Medina. They are few of them within the medinas too.

We had alcohol in our Riads but I think there is plenty out there.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
4. Re: ATM's & Prices

I always take sterling with me to Morocco (with a debit card for backup), I exchange the money at one of the many banks in the airport terminal, keep your receipt incase you need to change some back before leaving Morocco....

There are ATM's all over Marrakech........

5. Re: ATM's & Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:57 am, October 29, 2013
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 857
6. Re: ATM's & Prices

ATMs at the airport, and several banks around the square with ATM machines. So withdrawing cash should not be an issue. We also took a small amount of sterling which we exchanged at the airport, for the rest of the trip it was debit cards.

Pontyclun, United...
reviews: 29
7. Re: ATM's & Prices

Thanks very much for the information,very helpful.

Taroudannt...
reviews: 2
8. Re: ATM's & Prices

When you are making an ATM withdrawal, to save banking fees at home it's a good idea to take the maximum allowable each time. In my case my Canadian bank allows me $500 withdrawal per day which at the present time translates to 4000 dirhams. Keep only what you think you will need in your purse and put the rest away in a secure location. Importantly, be sure to inform your bank, before you leave home, that your debit card will be used in Morocco.

When it comes to giving coins to the inevitable beggars, it's smart to keep a few coins in a pocket, thus eliminating the need to open your purse. And do give, as it's part of being a tourist in a third-world country.

9. Re: ATM's & Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 25, 2014