We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leather. Morocco or Florence?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Leather. Morocco or Florence?

Will be in both Florence and Marrakech and would like to shop for a leather jacket. Where would be the best place and any suggestions on stores?

Thank you for your help

Robin

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 7
1. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

I guess it will be cheaper to shop in Morocco than elsewhere. I'm saying thid not out of chauvinism.

Plenty of shops in Down town Marrakech known as Gueliz

Berlkmeyer, Serghini are some of the oldest shops.. You can also shop in the medina but will need to bargain hard

Boston...
2. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

How is the quality of the leather and the workmanship? Does it compare to florence?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
3. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

Hi,

Unless you are lucky enough to find someone who has visited both Florence and Morocco I can only say that Moroccan leather goods are of extremely good quality. I'd recommend the Artisinal on Avenue Mohammed 5 or Bouriad Karim on Fatima Zohra for quality leather goods.

Tweed Heads...
reviews: 47
4. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

Any guideline idea on prices shimmin?

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
5. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

Expect to pay between 1000 to 2000 dirhams for a leather jacket depending on quality, length, detailing and whether fitting is required. The boutique store Bouriad Karim mentioned above is on Avenue Fatima Zohra and offers some of the best quality. I too have no idea about quality in Florence, although I do know that Italian companies import Moroccan made shoes to be rebranded.

New York,USA
6. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

I bought a good one in Fes for 1800 MAD. Their first price was something like 3500 MAD and after some time of bargaining we agreed to pay 1800 MAD.

Casablanca
7. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

In Fes i agree there is the best quality of Leather with good prices, just need to learn how to bargain hiding your buying interet to the vendor, then get what you want with no rush, in Marrakech you might find only the touristy stuff.

Good Luck.

Edited: 7:13 pm, February 23, 2013
Chester, UK
reviews: 53
8. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

Having been to Florence last year, and am currently in Marrakech, it seems like the quality is similarly high, but prices have the potential to be much lower here in Morocco; bargaining, even in the Florentine markets, didn't have much effect in Italy, even when buying more than one thing from the same vendor.

milano
reviews: 9
9. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a jacket with Italian design, or veru refined style and details, you will hardly find it in Morocco. But Morocco can have nice things, a more ethnic style if you like it, and certainly lower prices.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
10. Re: Leather. Morocco or Florence?

Hi,

Poster number 9 doesn't appear to have visited Morocco yet (?) so can't really comment on what style and quality of leatherwear is available. There are some very stylish European type designs for sale in the city of Marrakech at a much lower price than on the continent.