We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

My Husband, 5 yr old son, and I will be going to Marrakech for a short 3 day trip in July....I would like to do as much as I can in the medina, basically wandering with a knowledgable guide for a few hours a day.

Can someone recommend a nice Riad ($70-$100/nt) and guide who can pick us up from airport and take us around town for 2 days? I'm hoping the guide is someone from or suggested by the riad.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
1. Re: 3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

There's thousands of reviews of riads on this site which people have taken lots of effort to write, best that you do your own research using this wonderful resource rather than to take the advice of someone who probably has stayed at only one riad.

The Lonely Planet guidebook Marrakech Encounters is my favourite.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: 3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

Agreed on both counts. Ask your riad when you choose on out of the hundreds available!) for an airport transfer on arrival. They will also arrange a guide for you if wished. However a half day guided tour on your first morning will give you all of the orientation that you require, allowing you to explore on your own: much more fun!

Rabat, Morocco
reviews: 1
3. Re: 3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

when ypou get to marrakech airoport you will find taxi just out waiting for you making transfer to you from there to your riad; just with 10 euros for the car ,

there is alot of riads near jamaa lafna and depand of your budget,

Philadelphia...
4. Re: 3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

Thanks for your advice, TimCullis. I have many guidebooks and read much of the "professionally" written advice on Riads. However, I do find people's personal experiences (even with just one riad) so much more valuable, that's why I find forums fantastic.

I should habe been clearer....Every Riad has guides that they can offer, but I am having a hard time finding people with small children and their experience with Marrakech guides who may be able to point out great things like a children's school in the Medina, or playgrounds. Not the usual tour guide at all, I think souks, museums, etc will hit me in the head regardless if I look for them. We had done this in another part of Africa and our guide brought us to a working farm where they had 12 kids and a fantastic restaurant which had a play space behind the kitchen, another guide brought us to a ritual adolescent "debut" for a young girl and it was beautiful.

Also many of the riads recommended are not too child friendly, and some that have been recommended as child friendly are just obnoxious havens for people who prefer a theme park.

Please, any more advice would be greatly appreciated....budget is 100€ per day for Riad.

Thanks Kate and Marie for your messages regarding this post, will check those out.

Edited: 1:36 pm, February 20, 2013
London
reviews: 7
5. Re: 3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

Hi,

I would recommend Dar Baraka Dar Karam in the Medina which are owned by French and Moroccoan. I stay with them with a relatively young child and met another french couple with a 4 year ols staying at the same time. My stay was fabulous. We even arranged for them to pick us up from the Airport gratis.

In regard to a guide who is child-friendly and knows how to make the day-trips child-centric again I can suggest, however do look up or 'Day Trips' or 'Things to do' menu

Blue

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
6. Re: 3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

Hi,

Typing "child friendly riads" into the search box may also yield some Riads though as you know many don't accept family bookings unless it is a whole house reservation. If you do find somewhere the owners will make sure the guide follows your wishes regarding what you want to experience with the kids.

Casablanca
7. Re: 3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

Solide advice given by Shimmin, or just read the reviews on the riads/hotels on the left side of this forum there is a list of riads you can check, or just simply use the search box and write your travel interests there is tons of threads been shared there, and for trips also check the Tour companies and guides link on the right side of this forum there is good recommendations for trips you can do.

8. Re: 3 day trip w 5 yr old child, Riad w Guide and Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 22, 2014